Watercooled (Reserator) slow flow

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Zalman
  • Water Cooling
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 3, 2010 5:02:57 PM

I have a Zalman Reserator 1 v2 but it has almost zero flow. It won't even shift a small bubble right in front of the outlet.

It was working for about 7 months I think before I noticed the still flow, and aside from that one little bubble the system is bubble-free. It is filled with Zalman Anti-Corrosion Coolant.

Any ideas why there might be a slow flow? I am really regretting the switch to watercooling as it has been nothing but problems, but at least on the positive side I have learnt a lot of practical things about my system!

More about : watercooled reserator slow flow

a b B Homebuilt system
May 3, 2010 9:13:25 PM

This is WHY we DO NOT recommend you buy pre built cr@ppy stuff. Reserator, BigWater,etc are all cr@p.

My recommendation:
Get rid of the Reserator and buy a good air cooler OR spend ~$250 for a REAL water cooling set up.

Quote:
I am really regretting the switch to watercooling as it has been nothing but problems

That is YOUR fault. You should have done more research.

Start here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256607-29-watercoolin...
May 4, 2010 7:44:16 AM

I do have a "real" watercooling setup running alongside for the graphics card. In brief it was because I realised too late that the Reserator wouldn't handle both graphics and CPU. I am considering buying more tubing and a 3/4 to 1/2 converter barb to extend the "real" one through the CPU too but being unemployed I'm having to postpone such luxury purchases.

That said it doesn't really help with the question as to why the Reserator flow is almost still?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 4, 2010 4:14:27 PM

^ Because the pump is probably dead/dying. This is quite a common problem with Reserator/BigWater.
February 2, 2012 11:08:47 PM

If your still having a slow flow problem theres a couple problems you can fix..One thing you can do is shorten up your hoses just because it came with 10 ft of hose really dont mean you need to use it all.. plus maybe your pump is failing..Pull your pump out theres a sliding door to limite water flow maybe its not wide open or if you pull the face off the pump which is easy to do youll see the fan fins what you do is pull on the fins while you have it in your hand youll notice the fan is connected to the magnet..Hold the magnet & try to spin the fan ..If the fan moves means you have a problem that wasnt suppose to happen if it does spin glue that shaft and slide that magnet back on...Whats happening when you add power to the pump the magnet turns and that shaft isnt bonded that means ur fins have lost all its power it just not spinning with the magnet..Ill tell you the pump is so simple thats the only thing that could go wrong...Or go to anyplace that sells iquarium equipment buy the same pump or buy a stronger one like i did for less then 20 bucks and youll find there warranted for life hell buy 2...And if you still have your unit let me know ill give you a couple sweet tips to how to cool off your return water just by using 10 inches of holes..
November 9, 2012 1:09:51 PM

I finally tore down my slow reserator system to find that the baffles in the cpu block were partially blocked. I took out the block, reversed the flow with a garden hose setup, and all has been well since. I'm using an Intel extreme 6800, overclocked from 2.93 to 3.5, and temps are consistently under 100F.

However, it doesn't handle both CPU AND GPU worth a damn. Crossfire was cooking after awhile, so I reverted to the noisy fans again. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :D 
November 9, 2012 4:36:43 PM

Man the main reason i found ways to keep my reserator is because its totally silent..And there's so many tips to keep things running cool..I'll just tell you what i done and maybe you can relate...First thing i dumped the pump face it there just to slow so i picked up the best which is the Swiftech Mcp655..Now your system just changed from a slow flow to high flow system..Now installing it what i did was i replaced the out flow quick coupling and replaced it with a 1/2 inch nipple then i placed the pump so close to the nipple you'd think the pump came with the tank...why i did this is because if you install the pump down the line somewhere the pump is so fast it sucks the line dry so being real close the tank has a chance to feed the pump..Now what you can do is covert to 1/2 inch hose but i only used 1/2 inch just to the pump and i only used say a inch of hose the rest i went with 3/8..Ok now after that there is a couple other things you can do to keep the tank cool..If you don't have a fan kit that's slips on the top of the tank it would be a good idea to get one...Mind you the reviews about the fan kit was real bad but ill point out why and how to overcome the problems..First look in your tank you ever notice the return water just passes through a nipple so what happens the warm water that returns from the system stays at the bottom before it gets a chance to cool off then its sucked back into your system so your always feeding warm water to your system...So what you do is add a 10 inch hose to that nipple what happens now your sending the warm water to the top of the tanks and it gives the fan kit a better chance to cool the water..And another thing i done was i took suran wrap and wrapped my tank leaving the bottom open now when your fan blows it sends the air right to the bottom cooling the cooling fins from top to bottom..Plus suran wrap is transparent so it don't spoil the appearance of the tank.And the last thing i done was i shorten the lines as much as possible so the pump wont work as hard.. id say i used about little over 3 feet of hose...Myself i have the sabertooth Z77 motherboard with a i7 3770k and a AMD XFX 6970 with a Danger Den waterblock and i have no heating issues at all mind you i dont overclock for the reason i dont believe to shorten the life of my equipment...Anyways i hope these tips will help
November 9, 2012 4:50:22 PM

Yep, it sure does help. I often wondered about placing a piece of air conditioning vent pipe over the top, but never once thought about saran wrap. My hoses are already as short as I can get them, but I think it will be worth a trip to the hardware store to install the inside piece. Keeping the water separated makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help!!!

douglasw said:
Man the main reason i found ways to keep my reserator is because its totally silent..And there's so many tips to keep things running cool..I'll just tell you what i done and maybe you can relate...First thing i dumped the pump face it there just to slow so i picked up the best which is the Swiftech Mcp655..Now your system just changed from a slow flow to high flow system..Now installing it what i did was i replaced the out flow quick coupling and replaced it with a 1/2 inch nipple then i placed the pump so close to the nipple you'd think the pump came with the tank...why i did this is because if you install the pump down the line somewhere the pump is so fast it sucks the line dry so being real close the tank has a chance to feed the pump..Now what you can do is covert to 1/2 inch hose but i only used 1/2 inch just to the pump and i only used say a inch of hose the rest i went with 3/8..Ok now after that there is a couple other things you can do to keep the tank cool..If you don't have a fan kit that's slips on the top of the tank it would be a good idea to get one...Mind you the reviews about the fan kit was real bad but ill point out why and how to overcome the problems..First look in your tank you ever notice the return water just passes through a nipple so what happens the warm water that returns from the system stays at the bottom before it gets a chance to cool off then its sucked back into your system so your always feeding warm water to your system...So what you do is add a 10 inch hose to that nipple what happens now your sending the warm water to the top of the tanks and it gives the fan kit a better chance to cool the water..And another thing i done was i took suran wrap and wrapped my tank leaving the bottom open now when your fan blows it sends the air right to the bottom cooling the cooling fins from top to bottom..Plus suran wrap is transparent so it don't spoil the appearance of the tank.And the last thing i done was i shorten the lines as much as possible so the pump wont work as hard.. id say i used about little over 3 feet of hose...Myself i have the sabertooth Z77 motherboard with a i7 3770k and a AMD XFX 6970 with a Danger Den waterblock and i have no heating issues at all mind you i dont overclock for the reason i dont believe to shorten the life of my equipment...Anyways i hope these tips will help

!