Asus keyboard opens different windows when i type

mkj29

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
i just formatted an Asus m6000 MR6 laptop that i inherited from a friend, and re-installed windows xp and ever since, i'll be typing merrily away then all of a sudden it wont enter text any further, but instead each key opens a new window... esc opens start menu, f opens a weird search box off to the right etc.. once this begins, i cannot enter text anywhere, not even in system search....

how do i turn this off? its driving me nuts! the only thing that stops it is rebooting, and then it starts again 5 minutes later..

ive also had issues with the cursor jumping places within what im typing, as well as the browser window spontaneously jumping back several pages...

any ideas? as you can probably tell, im not hugely computer literate, but i have managed to fix all my own problems for the last decade or so thanks to forums like this one, so im hoping you guys can help again!

cheers

Since you have a fresh OS install, the issue is likely hardware. Try disabling the touch pad first. If that doesn't work try an external keyboard. If the external keyboard resolves the issues, then a good cleaning or possibly keyboard replacement is in order.

kn1gh1ngale

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
WHY does everyone assume its an issue with hardware or keyboard cleanliness or damage? I have the SAME issue with a brand new asus X401u laptop (Windows 7), no new installs, no spills, no damage. It happens when I get distracted while typing and instead of hitting letters I MUST be hitting some key or combination of keys that changes the functionality of the keyboard from standard to macro. It is easily fixed when I restart the computer but that gets very aggravating, especially when I am in the middle of a test. I am looking for the correct answer that pertains to a certain keystroke I must be evoking to elicit this unwanted reaction from my computer. It turns my letters into functions such as F for search or H for history, O for control panel, S for start menu. Any keys that aren't attributed to a certain command response resounds with an audible (DING) when pressed. The backspace seems to be the only key that results in some form of character, and that manifests as a useless square. And no, it is NOT a combination of the FN+num lk keys. Yes that does change the keyboards functions, but that is an entirely different setup that replaces the letters with numbers and symbols rather than DINGS and Commands.

So, if anyone else has a theory that doesn't involve hardware issues, non-existent accidents, reprogramming my computer, or downloading, or deleting functions from my perfectly good brand new laptop and actually knows what keystroke/s it is I am using to manipulate the functions of my computer so that I can recreate the same sequence of events to manually correct the keyboard issues, I would appreciate any advice you may have.

jason pierce

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

have you figured this out? this happens to me all the time. usually during a game. grrr. i built an entirely new computer just to get the same issue...and i have a wireless keyboard

Nilotec

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
I get this problem frequently as well. To fix it hold down the right "SHIFT" key until you hear a beep. Click yes on the pop-up and try to type. If it doesn't work, repeat holding the shift key again until you hear another beep. The ability to type should have returned.

monciatko

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your help! It worked :) You are a genius, appreciate you shared this advice. I was getting really hopeless and frustrated here. All the best and thank again. Monika

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Old topic, but I found this on Google and thought I would chime my two cents.

What you guys are referring to is "Sticky Keys"! And boy can it be frustrating, but yes hitting the shift key 5 times in a row will bring up a dialog box to enable Sticky Keys.

Tim_12564

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Happened to me on a Lenovo yoga. The above didn't work. I went to control panel, then keyboard and chose a different one. Back to normal. No idea what caused it.

yoopti

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Just bought a Toshiba A215 . everything was working fine, installed win 7, all of sudden keyboard start acting up, on every keystroke it opens a new browser. I loaded Linux Ubuntu to see if win7 is the problem, well it was doing the same thing on linux too. flashed the bios, I also bought another keyboard, it still does the same thing. it can not be software, it must be one of the chips gone wild. on win7 I opened task manager & stopped the LSM processor, keyboard started to work fine all of sudden, but only lasts a minute & then it reboots again. strangely I disabled services & even devices, still no result.
I changed the keyboard driver, well it stopped working & touch pad stopped to work too , strange, but I used USB keyboard to use it, computer functions fine, but without its keyboard.
I wonder how many other people have had the same experience?

Motherduckdee

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
my Asus has done similar since it arrived new. it is also touch screen and at first I thought it was the screen or keyboard. It is continually glitching to the start menu search bar. in my bottom left hand corner. - any answers to correcting this, please let me know!!!! Thanks