Asus p8p67 Pro And Evo Blue Screen When installing XP?

happyface88

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Does Asus P8p67 not support XP or something???

my first board was a p8p67 pro, when I tried to set up windows xp, you know that blue screen where it loads all that stuff. and when it reaches Starting Setup or something, it stalls for a few seconds than blue screens.

than I tried another board, the P8p67 Evo, and the samething occurs again. It gets blue screen right after it finishes loading all the info on the XP set up disc.

Next thing I tried was swapping the ram around, and testing to see if it did the samething, and it did....

The oddest thing here is, when I used my sisters Win 7 install, it works. It installs and work...

I did get one blue screen in 7 it only occured when I was hand picking the driver/ setup files from the asus cd.

So whats going on here???

Is the CPU???, or Ram or Board at fault??? Sorry new to building comps

Mobo is new, CPU is new, So is the hard drive and ram....

I am at a lost, btw, the install CD is a Dell CD not sure if it makes any difference.

CPU: Sandy Bridges 2500k

If you specified AHCI as the sata mode, XP will need a floppy driver disc so that it can load the proper hard drive driver and proceed with the install.
AHCI is the default on P8P67 boards.
Windows-7 has the proper ahci drivers on the dvd.

The Dell cd may have other issues; ot is an oem disk tailored to a dell system.

You might get it to work by specifying sata mode as IDE in the bios.

But...

Why in the world are you going to use XP on such a nice new system?
Come on... pony up for a good OS.

compnewbie828

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Ah, didn't know that, now that you explained it. It makes sense, given both boards I tested got BSOD right when it tried to start the install.

ot is an oem disk tailored to a dell system.

No, its like a regular install CD, it works on any comp, old system was a AMD phenom II x3 720, gigabyte board. No problems there.

Why in the world are you going to use XP on such a nice new system?
Come on... pony up for a good OS.

Guess I will have to do that didn't know about the AHCI, since the xp installed on my sisters i7 920, evga board I assumed it was the same.

dgingeri

Distinguished
For one, which blue screen? There are many reasons for blue screen errors.

If it says "inaccessible boot device" then the problem is the storage driver, and follow geofelt's advice.

If it says "memory location not writeable" or "memory location not readable" it's a memory or CPU problem. This can be caused by a poorly seated CPU. reseat the CPU using great care not to have any horizontal movements once it contacts the pins. (horizontal movement while in contact with the pins can cause the pins to move past the contact pads on the CPU. This could fry various components.)

If it gives any other messages, get the 8 digit hex code (such as 0x0000007E) and look it up through google. there are many sites out there that interpret them. Then you can track down what is wrong.

EnderWiggin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
geofelt is absolutely correct, you will need to change the SATA settings in the BIOS from AHCI Mode to IDE Mode and then you will be able to install Windows XP on this motherboard.

And why do we bother with XP on these brand new systems? Because of those older PC games that won't run under Windows 7 even with Compatibility Mode, so have a dual boot option for XP and 7 is the best solution.

willduren

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
I just ordered a P8p67 board as well. Same problem, I thought that it was a ram error however turns out when I used my windows 7 upgrade dvd it worked fine. No blue screen. The problem is the p8p67 board is all sata drives. Windows xp will not read sata drives on install unless your motherboard has the proper drivers. The p8p67 does not. The common fix is writing your AHCI drivers to a floppy but unless you have a USB floppy drive it won't work. Seeing as I didn't feel like buying a USB floppy I decided to go with this method.

http://paparadit.blogspot.com/2007/06/installing-sata-hard-drive-with-windows.html

Hope it helps!

shareef

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
i am also fased the same problem but i solve my problem and i install xp sucessfully

1) first make sure sata settings are IDE mode

2) CONNECT U R HDD S TO 3 GB/PS SLOTS ON MOTHER BOARDS ..... BECAUSE THE XP OS CAN NOT DETECT THE RAID DRIVERS AND 6 GB/PS HDDS

3) 6 GB/PS SATA PORTS ARE ONLY FOR DATA TRANSFER HDD'S USE ONLY

4) IFF U WANT INSTALL THE XP HDD MUST CONNECT WITH 3GB/PS SATA PORT ON U R MOTHER BOARD

SOOO U ALSO MAKE THIS CHANGES AND ENJOY INSTALATION OF XP

Richardbutch

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011

THANKYOU SO VERY MUCH !!! I have been trying to figure out how to get XP installed on my SATA hard drive with this motherboard for almost a week now. Tried different websites, different suggestions - nothing worked. Tried changing SATA headers as you you suggested and bang windows XP recognised my SATA hard drive and is installing on my computer. Thanks again. :pt1cable:

zbtonse

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Hi Richardbutch

I am having the same problem with the same copnfiguration as you described.

Did you follow this steps to get it work?:

1) first make sure sata settings are IDE mode

2) CONNECT U R HDD S TO 3 GB/PS SLOTS ON MOTHER BOARDS ..... BECAUSE THE XP OS CAN NOT DETECT THE RAID DRIVERS AND 6 GB/PS HDDS

3) 6 GB/PS SATA PORTS ARE ONLY FOR DATA TRANSFER HDD'S USE ONLY

4) IFF U WANT INSTALL THE XP HDD MUST CONNECT WITH 3GB/PS SATA PORT ON U R MOTHER BOARD

SOOO U ALSO MAKE THIS CHANGES AND ENJOY INSTALATION OF XP

Which changing SATA headers you mentioned ? What does it mean? (I am not guru as you :()

Thanks in advance

kelly876

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
When loading win xp on a dual boot partition, the program says to press F6 to load a 3rd party driver. However, my computer does not have a floppy drive. I have the driver on a usb memory stick -- is there any way to overcome this problem? Would loading the 3rd party driver in Win 7 work?

Daaani

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

ThaNK YOU SOOOO MUCH, Shareef! I have tried for hours on end all possible combinations in the CSM configuration, diffrent hard drives different discs - no dice!
As sooon as I connected the HDD to the SATA 3GB ports on the MOBO the OS recognized the SATA HDD and was able to install on it immediately.
Thank you again!