Sign in with
Your question
Solved

FSB GT/s or MT/s ?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 17, 2011 8:43:35 AM

:??:  I have an issue regarding the asus n gigabyte motherboards

all asus mobo's have maximum 6.5 MT/s were as Gigabyte has 4.5 to 6.5 GT/s
What is the difference ? does the gigabyte will be good in performance coz it has fsb in GT's ?

for eg: Asus P6X58D-E an Gigabyte X58A UD3R
which one will perform better ? does these fsb speed have any impact on performance between the above two mobo's ?

i7 supports 4.5 an 6.5 MT/s

plz anyone ? i need a bit of technical explanation abt these topic.

Help will be hearty appreciated

More about : fsb

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2011 3:22:47 PM

Very short answer: I can assure you that no two current mobos have a factor of 1024 difference in transfer speed.

Ahh - I went to Asus and copied this: "Up to 6400 MT/s ; Intel® QuickPath Interconnect." Gigabyte's says "QPI 1.4.8GT/s, 6.4GT/s." 6400 MT/s is 6.4 GT/s. Does that resolve your confusion
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 3:30:03 PM

First off I think that 4.5MT/s is a typo and it should be GT/s, the X58 FSB is designed to run at either 4.8GT/s or 6.2GT/s. I've never heard of a speed that low before.

The "FSB" refers to the Intel Quick Path Interconnect that connects the CPU to the IO Controller Hub. On Xeon multi-socket motherboards it is also responsible for connecting multiple CPUs. On the desktop boards the main job that the QPI link performs is transferring data from the memory controller located on the CPU to the PCIe controller on the IO Controller Hub where it is then sent to the video cards, SATA controller, etc.

My understanding is that a faster QPI (FSB) isn't going to affect performance much, if at all. Higher QPI speed's are going to help in situations where you have a multi-socket motherboard with multiple CPUs.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2011 9:02:47 AM

Best answer selected by crazywingman.
m
l
!