Your question
Solved

CPU Swapping: 3500+ to 4400+ (939)

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
July 10, 2010 9:26:15 PM

What's up, folks?

I, like a few guys on here have an aging Asus A8V Deluxe rig that I have been upgrading here and there to keep it alive and relevant.

I just threw a Radeon HD 4670 in there and I am shocked at how powerful this PC can still be, so my last investment, I have decided, will be to upgrade the processor to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (socket 939).

I was going to go for the max with a 4800+ or 4600+, but the prices on those are RIDICULOUS in the year 2010.

My question is- what do I need to know before swapping out the cpu? I know NOTHING about updating BIOS, resetting CMOS, flashing the PC or anything of that nature. MY knowledge of PC upgrading ends at physical, visual modifications :) 

I appreciate any help with this, guys.

More about : cpu swapping 3500 4400 939

a c 900 à CPUs
July 10, 2010 10:02:45 PM

You can upgrade the bios using asus life update on that board. That is pretty much what you need to do apart from maybe a repair install of windows after the fact.
m
l

Best solution

a c 107 à CPUs
July 10, 2010 10:09:40 PM

I can explain the general principles involved in getting your objectives accomplished. This way, you will derive great satisfaction in seeing the results of YOUR labor. Familiarize and use a proper anti-static strap.

You need to do some investigating (mainly reading) and here are the steps:

1. Check and see whether your motherboard will support the CPU that you have selected, and also make sure that the socket size is compatible. Verify that the CPU you selected is compatible with this motherboard.

2. Leave the BIOS alone at this point. You can flash (update) it later.

3. Read up on correctly installing a new CPU and heatsink using thermal compound. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259900-29-watercoolin...

4. Read up on building a new computer. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288241-31-read-postin...

5. Wear the grounding strap, and start the disassembling and re-assembly of the components.

6. Power up the system and perform the trouble-shooting steps as outlined in Item #4 if necessary. Note: Since the motherboard and hard disk have not been changed and since you changed the CPU, you may have to contact (call) Microsoft in order to re-activate the OS.

7. After this is done, you are ready to flash (upgrade) the BIOS. Here is the detailed procedure that I followed a week ago and which worked fine: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1605

8. To reset the CMOS (if necessary) just remove the system battery (#2032 Lithium cell) and set aside for five (5) minutes. Then re-install the battery. The BIOS will be re-set to factory defaults. Some of the more sophisticated boards have a separate CMOS reset button specifically for this purpose.

9. Now you will have an upgraded computer and you will be much richer in computer knowledge! Be prepared to spend some time in this. Not an overnight job.
Related resources
July 10, 2010 11:22:00 PM

rolli, ubrales, thank you gentlemen VERY much. I know information is all over the place, but you guys summed up everything I need to know right here :)  I will update once I get it all done :) 

Thanks again, dudes!
m
l
July 10, 2010 11:22:08 PM

Best answer selected by SimonDIvanoff.
m
l
a c 107 à CPUs
July 10, 2010 11:39:45 PM

Start - and we are here with you all the way!
m
l
!