Corsair RAM Problem

guillermogi

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Hi people!

I'm having a very strange problem with my RAM.
A few days ago my computer crashed and after resetting it it couldn't boot windows. I tried to recover the system from a backup image and there a blue screen appeared with the notice "memory problem".
Technical info of my computer: CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, MB Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev.2.1), 4GB Ram (4x1GB) corsair CM2X1024-6400C5DHX, Video card ASUS EAH5850, PSU OCZ 700W, 500 GB HDD SATA, and nothing more interesting

So I decided to remove 2 RAM modules of the four I had installed. There I could restore my system without any problems after which I did a fresh install. Afterwards I decided to to a memtest of all the modules and these are my results:

With the first two there was no problem.

I've then added the remaining two RAM and at the end of the third phase an error occured and memtest crashed

I thought that the other 2 RAM were faulty so I tested them separately. By each test errors occured.
However, I removed the 'faulty RAMs' and installed the working ones. As I tried to boot the computer, it didn't get to the POST or Bios.
Now I'm testing one of the 'working RAMs' separately but I'm dismissing the idea that a module must be broken.

Could it be a problem with the motherboard?

Ah, by each test I left memtest run three times, to be sure that the RAM actually works.
And another thing, I know from corsair's wbesite and from Gigabyte that my modules are not tested to work as I've installed them on my system, i.e. 4x1GB. They recommend to have either 2x1GB or 2x2GB. However my computer worked just fine for a couple of months with the 4GB RAM. Befor I had the 2GB of corsair till I decided to expand them to 4GB.

Does anyone has a clue what could the problem be? I'm now trying to test each RAM slot of the motherboard.

Thank you all and I'm sorry for my primitive english!!! :)

Good_Humour

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
However, I removed the 'faulty RAMs' and installed the working ones.
Into which slots? I assume that your motherboard has four DIMM slots. Perform your test again, this time using the first two slots, then the last two, to rule out the possibility of motherboard malfunction. Be sure to use the memory that you know to work. If all of the slots are functioning correctly, test each DIMM individually, or in pairs if you like. However, if some of the slots are not working, still test each DIMM in the working slots. The problem could be a combination of bad RAM and a bad motherboard.

I would highly suggest that you try 2x2GB RAM modules instead of 4x1GB. That's what I use; plus, Corsair and Gigabyte probably know what they're talking about.
Think about it this way: double the amount of DIMMs (2 to 4) means double the chance of failure. It is easier to drop all four eggs at once than it is to drop two. As a result, you can reduce your chances of memory failure.