Your question
Solved

I5-750 Heat Issues (help!)

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2010 1:32:42 AM

Hey all,

Finished my first build about a month ago, and I haven't been able to shake high temp levels. I've even added 3 aftermarket case fans, but my temps are still as follows

Idle: ~46 C
prime95: 86-99 C (depending on the core)

I am in a small, hot dorm room for the summer but that hardly justifies temps THIS high. I'm using an aftermarket cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), which doesn't feel too hot during Prime95.

I suspect it's a thermal grease/heatsink connection issue, but it got a nice, even layer of Arctic 5.

Ideas/Suggestions?
If I do have to re-apply the thermal grease, how do I ensure that I've done it correctly this time?

Thanks a lot!

More about : 750 heat issues

a c 213 à CPUs
July 11, 2010 1:36:21 AM

Check that the heatsink is firmly mounted, it shouldnt be getting anywhere near that hot. If it mounts using the standard push pins definitely check those and make sure that they are all locked in place.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2010 3:27:56 PM

hunter315 said:
Check that the heatsink is firmly mounted, it shouldnt be getting anywhere near that hot. If it mounts using the standard push pins definitely check those and make sure that they are all locked in place.

It's hanging normally, and doesn't feel loose at all.

Regardless, I gave a little push on the pins and they didn't go in any farther.

Thanks, though. Any other ideas, folks?
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
July 11, 2010 9:44:38 PM

Are the fans running at full speed? If so it must be installed badly with to much or to little thermal paste or fans blowing against each other.
m
l

Best solution

July 11, 2010 9:58:38 PM

http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.ht...

Reapply paste per these instructions....

My i5-750 has been running idle @ ~35 for the last 4 months since i built it no problems at all
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 12:44:27 AM

*sigh*

In advance, thanks all for your suggestions.

I've tried reseating the heatsink, switching back to the original Intel heatsink, and reapplying the thermal paste both in a thin coat and again per Arctic Silver's instructions. I'm now getting idle temps of ~65 C, and temps pushing TJ Max right after boot.

Any further suggestions? My thermal paste reapplication only seems to have exacerbated the problem and the heatsink is definitely seated properly...I'm getting worried.

Update: Idle temps now appear to be ~88 C. I've turned the pc off for the time being until I can isolate a solid fix for the problem.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 7:24:03 PM

are you overclocking at all? or did you up any voltages?

if not then if heat sink and thermal paste are correct i'd put the next likely canadate at improper ventilation. are the fans you say you have all blowing in or are they blowing in the front and out the back. to check if airflow try running the computer without a side panel on and see if it helps

if this doesn't help i'd rma mobo and cpu ... but it is very unlikely that'd be it... but i can see where it might be possible .. just highly improbable
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 7:30:36 PM

Not overclocking.

I have 3 intake fans (1 filtered 120mm on front, 2 filtered 120mm on side) and 3 exhaust fan (1 120mm back, 2 140mm top). My cable management is iffy, but none of it is directly obstructing a fan. Computer doesn't benefit much from removing the side panel.

Before I totally rewire, I'm going to try reinstalling the paste/heatsink one more time. I've been careless in how I remove previous installations, so I believe that the AS5 residue has been building up (I haven't swabbed with isopropyl alcohol) and thus preventing proper cooling. I'll also give another shot at seeing just how firmly I can get the heatsink in there.

I doubt it's the MoBo/CPU; they're both extremely well-reviewed. The problem lies somewhere in my amateur application of the paste and installation of the heatsink. Hopefully one more go tonight after I get off from work will solve it.

m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 10:45:51 PM

Best answer selected by dherts.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 10:47:09 PM

SOLVED!

I reseated the heatsink and reapplied the grease one LAST time with a healthy cleaning involving isopropyl alcohol. Booted into BIOS with idle temps of 36 C!

I took the opportunity to do some cable management, and my temps are now as follows:

Idle: 40 C
Prime95: 55 C

Fantastic temps, wonderful help. Seriously folks, you've made my day.
m
l
!