Advice on new build

crow305

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Hi all, brand new member, long time reader.
I have a single experience in building my own PC, the one I'm currently using, but I'm looking to go all out on a new on to last me 4 years or so, hopefully. Here goes!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: a month or so BUDGET RANGE: trying to keep it around $1000 after rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, general use (word processing, internet, email, etc)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, 500gb hard drive... not sure on the PSU, have a Antec Neo HE 550 that I've had for 2-3 years, never given me a single problem. What do you suggest?

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com, Microcenter.com (in-store as well) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU, leaning towards i7-930 (Microcenter has a great deal, makes it worth it)
Asus P6T motherboards or Gigabyte-X58A-UD3R (opinions welcomed)
RAM: open to suggestions, need 3x2GB (maybe more later), and I've heard low latency beats high frequency, open to suggestions
Case: Antec 902 or HAF 922, both have great airflow, seem high quality, opinions welcomed
GPU: ATI HD-5850, for now only one, possibly a second at some point later

OVERCLOCKING: maybe, in the future SLI OR CROSSFIRE: in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680 x 1050 at highest qualities, don't mind going up but it isn't a huge issue

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: case priority is air-flow and easy building, appearance is secondary. Do I need an aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan? Do I need any more case fans? Will my parts fit into the case? Is my current PSU ok, or should I get a new one? Am I doing anything completely stupid?

Thanks!

Ask back in a week or so before buying. Prices change all the time.

Intel CPU, leaning towards i7-930 (Microcenter has a great deal, makes it worth it)
Asus P6T motherboards or Gigabyte-X58A-UD3R (opinions welcomed)
RAM: open to suggestions, need 3x2GB (maybe more later), and I've heard low latency beats high frequency, open to suggestions
Case: Antec 902 or HAF 922, both have great airflow, seem high quality, opinions welcomed
GPU: ATI HD-5850, for now only one, possibly a second at some point later
Good start.

1. I prefer the ASUS P6T SE over the UD3R. I'v used both and lean toward the SE.

2. Go for some GSkill RAM. I recommend the Ripjaws. In real world performance, RAM timing/speed doesn't really matter.

3. Both are good cases. Imo, pick the one you like. I prefer the HAF 922.

4. If you plan to OC, you may want to get a top cooler listed here: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm
Pick one up even if you don't plan to OC. The stock cooler is just cr@p imo.

5. As for PSU, go with a Corsair 750TX or the newer XFX 750W.
XFX is the new kid in the block, but it's no slouch: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=184

crow305

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Yeah, I liked the HAF 922. Will it fit 2 5850's for future upgrades?

Out of curiosity, I used a PSU calculator to check what kind of wattage I'm going to need. Being as detailed as possible, but taking the precaution to put in 2 5850's, it said I need less than 500-550W. So is 750W just cautious overkill?

Also, as an opinion thing, is Win7 Professional worth it? The features I see that might be attractive are the Windows XP compatability, and having a much larger RAM ceiling. Realistically, will I ever need more than 16 GB for my uses? And is XP-mode any real use to me?

Thanks!

Any other opinions on my future rig? The biggest debate between forums and people I know has been whether to go for a P6T or the X58A-UD3R