Memory config question

blaket81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Hello all, i'm hoping somone on here knows more about confirguring memory than me (which isn't hard). I have memory (Corsair 6GB 1600mhz tri channel). If you install it and do nothing it only runs at 1066mhz, corsair says you have to set latency to 9-9-9-24 and set BIOS to XMP profile. When i set BIOS to "XMP Profile 1" windows 7 blue screens. It blue screens on a fresh install and even when booting from the 7 DVD, so i don't think the problem is software related. Is there maybe a hardware config problem i'm supposed to be addressing? Also, is there a recommended program to test/verify what your memory is running at? I welcome any suggestions as i don't know all that much about memory config...i miss the old days when you would install RAM and it just ran at the frequency that was on the package, with no settings or config. My build is below, thank you for any advice!

EVGA X58 SLI Micro MB
Intel Core i7 930
6GB Corsair 1600Mhz Tri Channel
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
ATI Radeon HD5870

echod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

I know with my board (Asus) I was having mem issues and when I switched it to XMP it ran at the full 1600mhz and no problems. I know I also took every stick out individually and put them back in. If they are not sitting in there perfectly you could have problems. This might not be your problem and I am not as smart as some of the other vets on here, but just giving you something to try out for now =)

blaket81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion, i should try that, it didn't occur to me that it might be the fault of defective RAM. Also, i forgot to add in my first post that the timing is at 2T and voltage is 1.65.....also per corsair's instruction.

blaket81

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Thanks jaquith, that's exactly the settings i have....i have it manually set in BIOS for 1600, i have latency of 9-9-9-24 2T and 165v....and BIOS says current frequency is 1600. When i test in OS however i don't see 1600, maybe i'm not reading the results correctly? I also don't know of a good program to test the memory, will cpu-z work?