Samsung or WD Caviar Black

MilkyTCIV

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Is more way more better than the other? Operating System:

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Samsung 1TB SATA/300 7200RPM 32MB Buffer - HD103SJ

also which is more quiet

Purpose: Gaming

My original choice: WD black 1TB

but my brother found a location in our city nd they selling an internal Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB SATA/300 7200RPM 32MB Buffer - HD103SJ drive for 89.99
to avoid shipping from newegg...

if samsung is not far off from WD Black...ill get it..

here are my specs:

Operating System: 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate (OWNED)
Case: NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 Elite Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply CP-9020002-NA
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Hardrive:
Video: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11200-00-20G
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Optical Drives: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Well a year ago I would have told you to buy the Samsung because in my opinion they are better drives and WD no longer allows the end user to be able to use a software tool to enable TLER. WD permanently disabled TLER on their cheaper drives. This however is only an issue if you want to run raid and then you would have to buy one of there more expensive enterprise drives like a RAID-specific RE4 to have TLER.

This TLER issue however is my only real gripe with WD. Other than that they are actually pretty good drives. I just feel that making it impossible to enable a simple feature so you have to spend more money a slap in the consumers face.

My Samsung drives have been very reliable I have been using 4-2TB Samsung F4's for about 20 months now with no issues what-so-ever.

The issue with Samsung is that Samsung's hard drive division was recently bought by Seagate. I use allot of hard drives and other than one failed WD the rest of my hard drives that have failed have all been Seagate. I have had a very high fail rate with Seagate and will no longer purchase them.

When Seagate bought Maxtor it didn't take too long for Seagate to ruin Maxtor and judging from the most recent Samsung 2TB F4 reviews on Newegg this is already starting to happen to Samsung. To bad they just went on sale for $99 and I was hoping to buy four more before Seagate completely ruins Samsung but it appears I might be to late.

Anyway, with Seagate's recent acquisition of Samsung I would stay away, Western Digital Caviar Black is still a pretty good hard drive for non-raid specific applications.

So IMHO Western Digital Caviar Black is your best choice. :sol: