Should I do a clean install of windows 7?

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hey guys, I am upgrading to an SSD and I was wondering if I should do a clean install of windows or just transfer everything over using an SSD Upgrade kit? I have a lot of games that I do not want to have to download again and I have a lot of preferences and things I do not want to lose, What should I do?

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Actually I have a question about that, I will probably just clone everything over to the SSD. Can you tell me if these are the right steps to take?

1. Before plugging in the new SSD I will change to AHCI. (I found a guide on these forums)
2. Plug in the SSD to my motherboard and upgrade to the latest firmware using Corsairs firmware update tool.
3. Unplug the SSD from my motherboard and plug it in using the Apricorn SATA to USB adapter and run EZ GIG and transfer everything over.

When I change to AHCI before I plug in the SSD does it change the SSD to AHCI also?

Gallarian

Distinguished

Your product key will work fine if you install W7 on a new drive, just activate it when you finish. The way it wokrs is it can only be active in one place at time, so it when you activate it on your SSD, the copy on your old drive will be 'deactivated'.

To answer your OP though - Id definitely clean install. Its a lot nicer to a new drive to start from scratch, you get the nice feeling of it being totally clean haha. Ive found cloning can sometimes cause issues when you try and to an access somethings (corrupt installations etc) so it'd might save you some hassle.

What I ended up doing in your position was doing a clean install of W7 but copied over files that I wanted from my old HDD - then wiped the HDD and used it for data storage.