Radeon 5770 not displaying

bstrueb

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Hello,
I have questions as to how to get my graphic card to show display. The card powers up (fan spins) but will not show display, i have tried both 6 pin pcie connectors on my psu, it is a 600 w ultra xfinity psu. My motherboard is a ECS945P-A with a x16 orange slot x4 blue slot, I tried the orange slot. I did a calculation of how much wattage im using and it's only around 450w for everything. I have tried the card in another pc that has a 950w psu msi 790x motherboard and the card works fine in that pc. Just don't know what the problem is, is it my motherboard or psu? My card before the 5770 is a ATI Radeon x700 series card and works fine but doesn't require a 6 pin connection.

Solution
It's not the drivers. There is a 5000-series specific issue with older motherboards using 1.0 or 1.0a PCIe slots. I read about it on AMD's Game forums previously, but no one had a proper solution other than resetting the CMOS every boot, which didn't actually work in all situations. That's not a viable or logical solution.

I suggest contacting the manufacturers of your motherboard and video card for possible resolutions specific to their hardware. Contacting them by telephone, if possible, may cost some money, but that method usually gets my issues resolved much faster than email. They may have a beta BIOS or some special trick that will allow the card to work. If not, then I don't think it ever will.

As I typed that, I searched for...

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
First of all, did you uninstall the previous card drivers properly ?

I have a recipe for proper uninstall of gfx cards:

HOW TO UNINSTALL ATI DRIVERS THE PROPER WAY

1.a. Untick Enable OverDrive in Ati OverDrive section ( if it is ticked )

1.b. Delete all Profiles in Ati OverDrive section ( if there is any )

2.a. Uninstall Ati from Control Panel\Add-Remove Programs

2.b. Reboot

3.a. Clean Registry from Ati entries

3.b. Delete HKCU\Software\Ati and Ati Technology keys

3.c. Delete HKLM\Software\Ati and Ati Technology keys

3.d. Delete HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ati entry keys

4.a. Delete C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Ati files ( Atikmdag.sys, etc. )

4.b. Delete C:\AMD\Support folder

5.a. Remove Ati GFX Display Adapter in Device Manager

5.b. Reboot

6. Install new Ati drivers ( If you use Enu (English) drivers, choose English )

7.a. Tick back OverDrive in Ati OverDrive section ( may not be necessary for you )

7.b. Create a profile named "STABLE" and change 2D speeds to 200/400 ( this is
only necessary if you will have crashes in 2D mode of operation once you
make your card run )

If you still have problems, it may be due to the fact that your M/B may be of PCIe1.0 specification, not PCIe2.0.

Also check if your PSU complies with version 2.2 specification.

Hope above helps.

Regards

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Forget what he said and start here:

This could be an old motherboard with a PCI Express 1.0 x16 slot. They seem to have problems with new PCI Express 2.1 cards. Check your motherboard's specs to confirm this, and for an updated BIOS for your motherboard if this is the case. A BIOS update may be advisable anyway.

bstrueb

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Can drivers hold back from seeing a display at post?
PSU: Certifications: FCC, UL, nVIDIA SLI, ATX v2.2/v2.03/v1.3
MOBO: Compliant with pci express base specification, revision 1.0a, that's all i could find. Does this mean my MOBO can't run this card? I already have updated the bios fully.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
It's not the drivers. There is a 5000-series specific issue with older motherboards using 1.0 or 1.0a PCIe slots. I read about it on AMD's Game forums previously, but no one had a proper solution other than resetting the CMOS every boot, which didn't actually work in all situations. That's not a viable or logical solution.

I suggest contacting the manufacturers of your motherboard and video card for possible resolutions specific to their hardware. Contacting them by telephone, if possible, may cost some money, but that method usually gets my issues resolved much faster than email. They may have a beta BIOS or some special trick that will allow the card to work. If not, then I don't think it ever will.

As I typed that, I searched for the AMD Game forum discussion. This is the one:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=124445

Solution

bstrueb

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Yeah i have a ticket open with ECS(ECS 945P-A Motherboard) & Diamond(Radeon 5770 Video Card) haven't been replied to yet. Been around 24 hours so far hopefully good news. I pretty much narrowed it down to the mobo not being compatible. I put a molex adapter in the card and linked it to the other powersupply to see if wattage was the issue but sure enough still no display so i'm thinking the mobo just needs some time of patch for the pci-e spec because the current downloadable bios for my mobo is not doing the trick.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

I am sorry I must have missed your implying you do not see the POST screen in your original post. My bad. Of course, it is not Windows drivers that causes you not to see BIOS POST screen. It could be my other answer, as was also confirmed by others, that PCIe 1.0 spec may create problems with PCIe2.0 spec.

Sorry for the confusion. Have a nice day/night.

Regards

bstrueb

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
This is what ECS said,
Dear Valued Customer,

As you may kwon this model comes with 2 x PCI Express x16 slot (Orange : x16 mode, Blue : x4 mode) we also provide a list of supported VGA card for this model motherboard which you can find here.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Support/VGA_Support_Note.aspx?NoteID=29&MenuID=72&LanID=0

So please only use suggested, If you really want to use a High end VGA card we suggest you try to use a more current model motherboard.

Thank you

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Roughly translated, "We don't give a crap about that old PoS. Buy a new board."

And the link to the circa-2004 video cards is epic. LMAO. Email them back and tell them they should update their chart because PCIe 2.0 cards are FULLY backwards compatible. Tell them you have a GTX-275 or HD4890 running on it right now and see what they say. They didn't help you any, so have some fun at their expense! :)

Meanwhile, I haven't heard squat from XFX today about the issue.

As for your options... I highly doubt we'll get any help through official channels. Maybe some BIOS hack site has a work-around or hacked BIOS, but that's risky.

Also, we're not talking about just a new motherboard here. On the contrary, we're talking board, CPU, memory, and probably case and power supply as well. May as well just go for a whole new build when you're able. It would be worth it. Performance and speed will increase dramatically. Night and day difference is what I foresee.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I have an OLD ECS K7S5A motherboard paired with an Athlon XP 2000+ that still works. I bought it at a PC show and sale because it had received one of those old Tom's Hardware "Kick-Ass" awards back in the days when this site was more "edgy" and reviewed almost everything under the sun.

Because of my experience with that particular board, I still consider ECS offerings when shopping. However, I've never actually chosen another ECS product since. Seems I'm always able to find deals on something else that gives me just that little bit more of something than the ECS product.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
bstrued, I'm sorry I never updated. I did hear from XFX on the issue. They said unless the motherboard makers implement support for PCIe 2.1 it prior to discontinuing support for the motherboard itself, PCIe 2.1 cards just won't work. That it's "just the way it is when new standards are adopted."

Sorry I didn't update as soon as I got word.