Sign in with
Your question

AMD 890GX/FX Build Suggestions

Last response: in Systems
May 4, 2010 12:52:03 AM

Hello guys, I'm new to the forums but have been using the tom's hardware site for several years. The idea is to put up a qulaity 890GX/FX build while not going over $1500.

Suggested Specs

Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Memory: 2x Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Graphics: XFX HD-583X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB
Harddrive: 4x HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB 7200RPM
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
Powersupply: Antec CP-850 850W

Notes
* The build is planned for sometime in august so the build will be updated as better parts come on the market for an affortable price such as 6core processor.
*Ideally I'd like to be using 890fx motherbord but as there are very few on the market atm and price is a little that isn't feasable.
*As far as harddrives I'm sure to save money I could use a cheaper harddrive and/or down garde the 0+1 raid.

Thanks for any and all input

May 4, 2010 12:59:03 AM

Welcome to the forum.

A lot will change between now and August, so I would wait to pick out any parts until then. There are several changes that should be made to your build however, including exchanging that RAM for some G.Skill Ripjaws

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And consider Spinpoint F3s or Seagate 7200.12s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for the other components, the market may be quite different, so I will withhold any recommendations.
May 4, 2010 1:15:07 AM

I just ordered a very simliar set up:

AMD Phenom II X4 955
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3.0
Samsung Spinpoint F3
Corsair Dominator 4GB(2x2GB) 1600
Corsair TX650
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan (QTY 5)
Tuniq Tower 120
ASUS VW224U Black 22"
LG DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH24NS50 - OEM
NZXT Beta EVO

From what I can tell, the 955 is a better bang for the buck as it can be overclocked just as easily as it is a BE and a good bit cheaper.

I had originally ordered some G.Skill sticks(different than the ones above), but the ones I had ordered weren't on the QVL and have had some problems according to other users. Be careful and make sure you order ram supported by the motherboard, and vice versa. The spinpoint F3's seem to be the best bang for the buck as well.
Related resources
May 4, 2010 1:36:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions I have a couple questions 1) what are your thoughts on the antec 1200? 2) Has anyone tried a build with Asuss Crosshair 3?

My reason for trying muskin is over the years I have only heard good things about it, saidly there isnt any muskin memory that meet my requirments at 1600mhz on the qvl; So I may end up using corsair memory as I have for my last two builds. As far as the harddrives I would still like to stick with a 1TB version as I'm planning to set up a 0+1 raid setup to maximaze performance as well as fault tolernce.

Once again thanks for the comment and please keep the comments and suggestions comming.
May 4, 2010 4:10:35 AM

After actual looking for ram on my QVC I've settled on 2x CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600, also I think the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition will be a good fit. Still hadn't decied on the harddrives but I'm going to go with one that has the new 6GB/s Interface and ideally 1tb, but depending on prices I may be persudaded to upgrade upto 1.5tb or even 2tb doubt the price would be in an afforable range though. I'm pretty much set on my mb, case, and ram everything else is subject to change.
May 4, 2010 4:16:38 AM

birdeye said:
After actual looking for ram on my QVC I've settled on 2x CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600, also I think the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition will be a good fit. Still hadn't decied on the harddrives but I'm going to go with one that has the new 6GB/s Interface and ideally 1tb, but depending on prices I may be persudaded to upgrade upto 1.5tb or even 2tb doubt the price would be in an afforable range though. I'm pretty much set on my mb, case, and ram everything else is subject to change.

That is exactly the set up I went with. I decided against a 6gb Sata drive since, on Newegg, there only is FOUR drives listed that support that. The WB 1TB was the only at a moderate price, IIRC. I figured I'd go with the Samsung because tests show it is lightening fast for current market drives. I will upgrade to a SSD or a 6GB Sata drive in the future, when there is more of a market for it.
May 4, 2010 5:10:14 AM

jbjarko said:
That is exactly the set up I went with. I decided against a 6gb Sata drive since, on Newegg, there only is FOUR drives listed that support that. The WB 1TB was the only at a moderate price, IIRC. I figured I'd go with the Samsung because tests show it is lightening fast for current market drives. I will upgrade to a SSD or a 6GB Sata drive in the future, when there is more of a market for it.

Is there any reason you decided against the Crosshair 4 besides the price, the reason I ask I had the original crosshair and of all my build it was the worst motherboard I ever had to work with, I hear that the crosshair has gotten better but after that I'm gun shy to ever spend that more than $150 on any motherboard; This will be my 5th build and with all the other boards I had no problems what so ever. Do you have any thoughts on the antec 1200 case? I'm hoping that since my build is a bit away the price of the 6gb/s harddrives will go down in price by then and hopefully have a wider selection as well.
May 4, 2010 5:20:53 AM

birdeye said:
Is there any reason you decided against the Crosshair 4 besides the price, the reason I ask I had the original crosshair and of all my build it was the worst motherboard I ever had to work with, I hear that the crosshair has gotten better but after that I'm gun shy to ever spend that more than $150 on any motherboard; This will be my 5th build and with all the other boards I had no problems what so ever. Do you have any thoughts on the antec 1200 case? I'm hoping that since my build is a bit away the price of the 6gb/s harddrives will go down in price by then and hopefully have a wider selection as well.

My reasoning for not spending the roughly (+$100) for the Crosshair is this...

I don't do a LOT, if ANY gaming. I had no reason to put an additional GPU in right off the bat. The only thing, from what I read, that the FX will benefit you vs. the GX, is the opportunity to run both PCIe lanes at 16x. I have no desire to run more than one add-on GPU, ever. I'll put in a solid Radeon and be done with it. I don't need two. The FX may be marginally better at overclocking, but I'll be quite happy if I can get my 955 up to 3.8 or 3.9 and quite stable, as it will do everything I need it to.

Not too familiar with case selection. I went with what had good reviews and was cheap. I purchased as many HIGH QUALITY case fans as the case would allow, and we'll see how it turns out.

May 4, 2010 5:29:55 AM

1090t is better
May 4, 2010 5:39:42 AM

Of course it is better. I'd by a 1090T too if I had the use for 6 cores, or the desire to spend another 150 ish on a processor, when a 955 OC'd is a great value.
May 4, 2010 5:57:10 AM

That's a solid reason to stay away from the crosshair... I don't doubt the 4th generation is alot better but l have never needed to run two GPUs although I do some extensive gaming just nothing that requires two top of the line GPUs. Well the antec 1200 has been out for a while and while it is quite bulky which for me is a plus it comes with 5x 120mm fans and a 200mm fan so it has a plenty of cooling right out of the box. Yes, the 1090t is slighty better but I'm sure there will be better ones following it. If you have read the review its not really worth the slight boost in speed, seeing as it's over $100 more.
May 4, 2010 2:32:43 PM

Honestly, you would be better off going for a 5850 or 5870. Crossfiring should only be done at the get go when you actually build your PC because by the time you are ready to Crossfire you will be able to buy yourself a new single video card that will out perform two of the former ones you had. For example, I read reviews that two 5770's perform similarly to a 5870 while costing 70-80 dollars less, so when I did my build I went that route since my PSU choice was not much more expensive either way.

Most GX's will accept Crossfired cards anyway at 8x 8x which is not significantly different at this time than 16x 16x for most uses.

As far as getting 6 cores goes, I would only recommend that if you do video editting, or use other multi-threaded apps. Really, the 955 or 965 is the better choice because its an incredible value. When the Bulldozer series comes out you will regret getting the X6. Get a 955 and put the extra money towards a better video card.
May 4, 2010 8:04:39 PM

Speaking of video cards do you have any suggestions?
May 4, 2010 8:34:29 PM

A lot can change on prices and availability between now and July. Certainly, the prices on the X6 CPUs will drop, and on SATA 6Gb/s drives. Who knows with RAM.
As to the video card, the HD5830 performs too close to a HD5770 to have a price so close to the HD5850. Unless that has changed by then, choose either one of those for higher bang/buck. You won't need an 850W PSU for this rig; check out a Seasonic X-650 or a 550W-650W Antec Truepower New.
May 4, 2010 11:34:39 PM

Yea I know I only need about 650w power supply, the reason for the 850w is that I plan to be using the same case for a long time, so the idea is buy getting the 850w is future proofing. As for video card I plan on getting SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850
May 5, 2010 8:14:18 AM

After doing some looking around the Haf932 looks to be an awesome case and with the Haf X series coming out at the end of the month I may go with the Haf x assuming its within the same range that the current ones are in. I know that antec is coming out with a new case as well, but from all the pics I have seen its but ugly. My only hope is that haf x will have a blue led option like they do with the haf 932. Any thoughts on the haf line of cases?
!