Sign in with
Your question

MOBO recs for dual-purpose build

Last response: in Motherboards
January 17, 2011 5:04:31 PM

Hi all.

I'm looking to build a new system and need some advice on choosing a mobo. Specifically, I want a machine that can serve as both a home PC and an HTPC. I don't game at all (that ship sailed two years ago when my wife had our first kid)! OC would be cool, but I don't really care.

I THINK that I want to use the Sandy Bridge chipset, but I'm concerned as to whether the Intel 3000 can handle 1080p/blu-ray output. Should I just go with a p67 and get a dedicated GPU or can an h67 with the K chipset handle the job? Seems like a bit of a waste to get a chipset with integrated graphics and then not use them.

I'm also curious about the mobo outputs themselves. My plan was to run the HDMI output on an H67 board to my stereo receiver (pioneer vsx-1120-k) which then runs video to the plasma in the den and audio to the 7.1 surround system. Doesn't that mean I'll then have to connect the actual PC monitor via DVI? Are there any boards with dual HDMI outputs?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - Feel free to toss in any other advice for things that I may not have considered.
a c 295 V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 7:51:54 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

I'd go with P67 chipset, with that you can overclock the CPU (something that you want) and a dedicated GPU that also can be overlocked. The i5-2500K with an ASU P8P67 PRO, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 or MSI P67A-GD65 is a good option.
m
l
January 17, 2011 8:01:16 PM

saint19 said:
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

I'd go with P67 chipset, with that you can overclock the CPU (something that you want) and a dedicated GPU that also can be overlocked. The i5-2500K with an ASU P8P67 PRO, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 or MSI P67A-GD65 is a good option.

Thanks. I had pretty much come to a similar conclusion. Specifically, I was looking at the ASUS P8P67 PRO (I also looked at the EVO, but think it may be "overkill" for my needs).

The ASUS P67 boards also have integrated BT, which I didn't mention earlier, but is a big selling point to me. At least now I don't need to buy a separate BT module.
m
l
!