Sign in with
Your question

Using three power splitters?

Last response: in Components
July 11, 2010 7:09:46 AM

I just got a new (well, "refurbed") z400 workstation from HP as a replacement machine under warranty.

I'm adding a few hard drives to it for a total of five. It also has the optical CD/DVD drive it came with.

I'm also adding a new nVidia GTX-470 graphics card... or so I hope. The card wants “four” power plugs from the computer (yes, four). It’s using the old-style kind of power plug used on optical drives. There are a total of three in the machine and one is being used by the CD/DVD drive. This means I have to get two "Y" power splitters, since I only have two available.

Note that the machine also has a total of four of the newer 15-pin power plugs for hard drives, which means I’ll have to use one Y splitter for the fifth hard drive.

Is this going to be okay? Or should I check with HP tech support?

Thanks.

More about : power splitters

a b ) Power supply
a b α HP
July 11, 2010 7:39:32 AM

you better make sure your PSU has enough power.

Minimum recommended 550W power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.

Plus you need additional power for all your HDD.

I would go for atleast 800W PSU
m
l
July 11, 2010 9:06:12 AM

Yes, I just looked it up. The nVidia card says it wants at least a “550W power supply (38A on 12V rail).”

(Sorry I didn't look that up for you sooner.)

The HP workstation's power supply (HP part number 468930-001) says it has a “total output of 475W.”

And I just spoke to HP tech support, who also said I'll need additional power for the other hard drives. They also said it’s fine to put in my own power supply without any concerns about voiding the warranty on the rest of the machine.

Should I be asking you to recommend which power supply to get, or is any good name sufficient?

And do I have to “measure” the current power supply so I make sure the new one fits in the case? Or are they all the same size? How does that work? (Sorry, but while I’m pretty tech-savvy in general I have zero experience with power supplies.)

Thanks!

Jay
m
l
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 11, 2010 12:47:32 PM

I also have one of these. In addition to enough power, it also has enough cables.
m
l
July 12, 2010 3:12:21 AM

Help!

I went to CompUSA and picked up not a TX but HX750W.

But it won't fit in the case! Well, it fits, but there aren't appropriate holes that line up to screw it into place.

I have a z400 (refurb) from HP Customer Relations as replacement of an earlier model workstation that died under warranty. I want to put five drives and a hefty video card in it, so I got the HX750W.

Only two of the four mounting holes in the power supply have matching holes in the case frame, and they're not in the right places for a two-screw mount -- they're both on the same short end of the power supply. It would not be secure at all.

What do I do? I'm a novice with serious business to take care of and this is getting costly in terms of time.

They told me at the store that these things are all "standard" sizes.

HP tech support just says I'm on my own for putting in a larger power supply than the one that came with it, but that I shouldn't encounter any unusual problems.

Any advice, please, would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!

m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 12, 2010 2:46:59 PM

Orient the PSU so the fan is facing toward the inside of the case (down if top mounted, up if bottom mounted).

The mounting holes in the case and PSU don't line up?
m
l
July 12, 2010 9:23:22 PM

Nope, they don't line up. I mean, not even close. The two on top do (top when the case is laying flat with the door off). But the two on the bottom of the power supply don't line up near holes in the case at all. Both of those bottom holes are just slightly exposed along the edge of the case opening -- not nearly close to any of the mounting holes.

I spoke to HP tech support, who looked into it at length because it's a workstation and that gives me far better tech support than just a desktop would, and they're baffled. Two of them spent, combined, a good hour looking at lab units, specs, etc. They said it's a standard ATX case as far as they know.

The HP Z series is "supposed" to be a design that's "tool-less," meaning you can change parts with no tools. The case does have all these notches and grooves where the opening is for the power supply, but none of that was utilized in any way -- the power supply that came with it was just screwed in using four holes in the case, only two of which match standard ATX power supplies.

It seems HP just screwed up on this model in this area. The techs seemed to feel the same way.

I had noticed on a forum somewhere that "double-sided tape" was sometimes an option, and while I'm not one to mickey-mouse my computer, even tech support agreed it was my only option short of having a custom bracket machined.

So, I used not double-sided tape (which I tried but which didn't work) but rather double-sided mounting squares and that did the job perfectly. Combined with the two screws that did line up, it secured it more than solidly. In fact, it seems the power supply was DOA and it was secured in there nice and firmly when I went to remove it to replace it.

The HP techs agreed, "off the record," that that did seem like not only my best option but also my only option for putting a higher-output power supply in the machine, since HP doesn't sell one.

Thanks!

m
l
July 13, 2010 6:58:38 AM

After I got the physical power supply secured, the machine refused to boot. I swapped the power supply out for another identical unit and still the machine wouldn't boot.

Then, I found out the problem. The HP z400 comes with a "custom" power supply!

Now, I'm working on possibly creating an adapter to rewire the power to the system board, based on that I'm seeing so far.

Please go to this new thread I created: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/285762-28-z400-requires-rewiring-system-board-power#t2138211

Thanks!

Jay

m
l
!