ASUS Radeon 4870 HD, Fan has stopped working.

Mooksie

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Hello,
I've had said graphics card for about 1 1/2 years now and recently its been running really hot (80+ degrees centigrade on desktop). About a week ago I cleaned the inside of my computer (removed dust etc) and my graphics card and the problem appeared solved (ran at 55 degrees on desktop).

However, today (after returning from a 2 day trip, with my computer unplugged at my home) I turned my computer on to find it running at 100+ degrees on desktop. I opened the side of the case and found that the fan attached to the card was not operating.

I see no apparent reason for this and would appreciate any help/advice.

Cheers :)

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Check that the power cable from the PSU to the card is properly seated at both ends.

Also check that the card is correctly seated in the PCIE slot.

Also, when powered down, see if you can move the fan with your fingertip - It may just be jammed on something.

Mooksie

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
I gave the fan a quick clean and there seems to be no obstruction, I also checked the power and there seems to be nothing wrong there. Would installing a new GPU fan be an option?

Cheers for the Replies :D

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Before spending any money i would try to troubleshoot with a few more options...Maybe try your card in a buddy's PC to rule out your computer having any issues besides this gpu's fan. You could also try another card in your PC to rule out that your motherboard or PSU or anything else is the culprit here. And lets say you did rule out these things and it seems your gpu has a problem there are obviously VGA coolers that can replace the current stock(?) fan on it now but those from what ive seen arent that cheap. Now this is assuming you have no warranty or you over clocked or w/e and you voided your warranty or blah blah blah :D

Just troubleshoot until you know for sure what it is and you could even go as far as removing your gpu's heat sink/fan and reattaching it after inspecting the undercarriage of the heat sink. But you definatly want to buy some thermal paste before doing that as you would have to reapply that or make a coffin for your gpu LOL

hope this helped :hello: