2 games lost

Last response: in Video Games
August 14, 2005 9:18:50 AM

On the second part of KOTP called Hallucinations I've completed all the
goals except entering the cathedral. I'm outside under the clocktower. The
gate requires a key and unless there is a pole volt am stuck.

Second is Lord Alans Basement. You start in a small yard with a cellar door
that opens. After 20 times trying to get down it have died each time. Please
assist!

More about : games lost

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 9:18:51 AM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 05:18:50 GMT, "paar" <saboatage@lost.com> wrote:

> On the second part of KOTP called Hallucinations I've completed all the
>goals except entering the cathedral. I'm outside under the clocktower. The
>gate requires a key and unless there is a pole volt am stuck.

Maybe Nightstalker can answer this...I never save my old save games.

> Second is Lord Alans Basement. You start in a small yard with a cellar door
>that opens. After 20 times trying to get down it have died each time. Please
>assist!

Going down doors can be tricky. I stand opposite the ladder, crouch and
then creep forward until I can see myself shift onto the ladder, then I
turn around and continue downward. If there isn't a ladder and you're
falling to your death, can you shoot a rope arrow right above the hole so
you can climb down that? Or maybe drop some boxes down the hole so you
land on them?

Hmm, right at the beginning? *Loads the mission*

Ah, that's not the only entrance. Search the yard a bit more.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 04:28:24 -0500 Michael Cecil said :

>On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 05:18:50 GMT, "paar" <saboatage@lost.com> wrote:
>

>> On the second part of KOTP called Hallucinations I've completed all the
>>goals except entering the cathedral. I'm outside under the clocktower. The
>>gate requires a key and unless there is a pole volt am stuck.
>
>Maybe Nightstalker can answer this...I never save my old save games.
>
>> Second is Lord Alans Basement. You start in a small yard with a cellar door
>>that opens. After 20 times trying to get down it have died each time. Please
>>assist!
>
>Going down doors can be tricky. I stand opposite the ladder, crouch and
>then creep forward until I can see myself shift onto the ladder, then I
>turn around and continue downward. If there isn't a ladder and you're
>falling to your death, can you shoot a rope arrow right above the hole so
>you can climb down that? Or maybe drop some boxes down the hole so you
>land on them?
>
>Hmm, right at the beginning? *Loads the mission*
>
>Ah, that's not the only entrance. Search the yard a bit more.

Some fan missions have a too obscure of entrances. If I have to spend a
half hour looking for it I say screw it and call it a loser FM-mission
and move on.

The FM ends up in the recycle bin real quick.

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

On 14 Aug 2005 04:55:21 -0700, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>Some fan missions have a too obscure of entrances. If I have to spend a
>half hour looking for it I say screw it and call it a loser FM-mission
>and move on.
>
>The FM ends up in the recycle bin real quick.

Well, that one isn't too bad and it was good enough to have at least one
sequel. I usually get fed up with badly built missions or ones that
haven't been playtested enough to sort out the bugs (especially when they
are publicly posted as being ready for download.)

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
August 14, 2005 2:38:58 PM

"paar" <saboatage@lost.com> wrote in message
> On the second part of KOTP called Hallucinations I've
> completed all the goals except entering the cathedral.
> I'm outside under the clocktower. The gate requires a key
> and unless there is a pole volt am stuck.

I don't remember actually opening the cathedral gate.
I think you end that section just by going to the gate
after everything is done. Next episode starts you just
inside the walled area. If I'm wrong, feel free to call
me a few nasty names.

You could check TTLG Forums that has the FM discussions
and if you're a member, do a search on Hallucinations.

> Second is Lord Alans Basement. You start in a small yard
> with a cellar door that opens. After 20 times trying to
> get down it have died each time. Please assist!
August 14, 2005 2:48:50 PM

"Geneve" <a@n.com> wrote in message
news:D dnbf90h0q@drn.newsguy.com
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 04:28:24 -0500 Michael Cecil said :
>>
>>On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 05:18:50 GMT, "paar"
>><saboatage@lost.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On the second part of KOTP called Hallucinations I've
>>>completed all the goals except entering the cathedral.
>>>I'm outside under the clocktower. The gate requires a
>>>key and unless there is a pole volt am stuck.
>>
>>Maybe Nightstalker can answer this...I never save my old
>>save games.
>>
>>> Second is Lord Alans Basement. You start in a small
>>>yard with a cellar door that opens. After 20 times
>>>trying to get down it have died each time. Please assist!
>>
>>Going down doors can be tricky. I stand opposite the
>>ladder, crouch and then creep forward until I can see
>>myself shift onto the ladder, then I turn around and
>>continue downward. If there isn't a ladder and you're
>>falling to your death, can you shoot a rope arrow right
>>above the hole so you can climb down that? Or maybe drop
>>some boxes down the hole so you land on them?
>>
>>Hmm, right at the beginning? *Loads the mission*
>>
>>Ah, that's not the only entrance. Search the yard a bit
>>more.
>>

> Some fan missions have a too obscure of entrances. If I
> have to spend a half hour looking for it I say screw it
> and call it a loser FM-mission and move on.
>
> The FM ends up in the recycle bin real quick.

Some people that make the FMs don't realize just
because they know the answer, everybody should
be able to figure it out. At times a flashing neon
sign is required. There are a number of FMs
I never totally completed because I got tired of
looking for "the lost key" or finding the "hidden button".
In the little series I'm *still* working on (can't devote
as much time to it as I would prefer--can get all but
objectives to work in dromed, and can't get it to run
properly in darkloader), I've got it set up so if one
has a truly blonde moment, there is a physic in
town where they can pick up a clue. Plus you get
to steal her stuff....
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:48:08 PM

Geneve wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 04:28:24 -0500 Michael Cecil said :
>
>>On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 05:18:50 GMT, "paar" <saboatage@lost.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On the second part of KOTP called Hallucinations I've completed all the
>>>goals except entering the cathedral. I'm outside under the clocktower. The
>>>gate requires a key and unless there is a pole volt am stuck.
>>
>>Maybe Nightstalker can answer this...I never save my old save games.
>>

>>>Second is Lord Alans Basement. You start in a small yard with a cellar door
>>>that opens. After 20 times trying to get down it have died each time. Please
>>>assist!
>>
>>Going down doors can be tricky. I stand opposite the ladder, crouch and
>>then creep forward until I can see myself shift onto the ladder, then I
>>turn around and continue downward. If there isn't a ladder and you're
>>falling to your death, can you shoot a rope arrow right above the hole so
>>you can climb down that? Or maybe drop some boxes down the hole so you
>>land on them?
>>
>>Hmm, right at the beginning? *Loads the mission*
>>
>>Ah, that's not the only entrance. Search the yard a bit more.
>>

> Some fan missions have a too obscure of entrances. If I have to spend a
> half hour looking for it I say screw it and call it a loser FM-mission
> and move on.
>
> The FM ends up in the recycle bin real quick.

Geneve,
I am with you on that one. Also, if there are too many bugs I will do
the same. Getting to that point on the T2-FM-Ruined. Nice graphics, but
a bit too buggy for my taste.
Albert
August 15, 2005 5:21:49 PM

"Mos" <Not@YourHouse> wrote in message

> "paar" <saboatage@lost.com> wrote in message
>> On the second part of KOTP called Hallucinations I've
>> completed all the goals except entering the cathedral.
>> I'm outside under the clocktower. The gate requires a key
>> and unless there is a pole volt am stuck.
>
> I don't remember actually opening the cathedral gate.
> I think you end that section just by going to the gate
> after everything is done. Next episode starts you just
> inside the walled area. If I'm wrong, feel free to call
> me a few nasty names.
>
> You could check TTLG Forums that has the FM discussions
> and if you're a member, do a search on Hallucinations.
>

>> Second is Lord Alans Basement. You start in a small yard
>> with a cellar door that opens. After 20 times trying to
>> get down it have died each time. Please assist!

There is a "Cathedral Gate" key but it's not always in the same place. I
believe it can be in one of 2 spots, depending on how you play through the
mission. One is the Lawyer's office, in his desk drawer. To get the drawer
key, you have to move the picture over the fire. On Easy, you need to frob a
book on the bookcase. On the other two settings, there's a button under the
desk. I also remember finding it in the Mortician's building, upstairs, I
think.

As for those who give up on a mission because it's a bit hard to navigate,
you're missing out on a lot of really great missions! That's why we have
forums and newsgroups so you can get a bit of help and continue on without
getting too frustrated. Lord Alan's Basement is a terrific mission and Lord
Alan's Fortress, the sequel, is outstanding and it would be a shame to miss
out on them because you found the first 5 minutes of the first mission a bit
annoying.

As for missions being too hard or lacking clues, you honestly have to have
seen it from the other side to realize just how hard it is to place those
hints and directions to understand that it is never possible to make it
right for everyone. If you make it too obvious, there are tons of complaints
about it being too easy. If some people have to work a bit too hard or look
for hints on the forums, etc. to figure out where to go or what to do, they
complain that it's too hard, etc. Having been an alpha and betatester for a
LOT of missions in the last 4 or 5 years, I've been part of trying to
fine-tune these things and it is extremely difficult to do. The bottom line
is that you'll never please everyone so the author of the mission usually
does the best he/she can and then wait for the complaints, as they will
inevitably be forthcoming. The goal for most of the FM authors I've worked
with is to make it clear enough to be playable and challenging but not
frustrating for the majority of players.

Nightwalker

--
Remove "leavemealone" from email address when replying.
Anonymous

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 05:18:50 GMT, "paar" <saboatage@lost.com> wrote:
>

>> On the second part of KOTP called Hallucinations I've completed all the
>>goals except entering the cathedral. I'm outside under the clocktower. The
>>gate requires a key and unless there is a pole volt am stuck.
>
> Maybe Nightstalker can answer this...I never save my old save games.
>
>> Second is Lord Alans Basement. You start in a small yard with a cellar
>> door
>>that opens. After 20 times trying to get down it have died each time.
>>Please
>>assist!
>
> Going down doors can be tricky. I stand opposite the ladder, crouch and
> then creep forward until I can see myself shift onto the ladder, then I
> turn around and continue downward. If there isn't a ladder and you're
> falling to your death, can you shoot a rope arrow right above the hole so
> you can climb down that? Or maybe drop some boxes down the hole so you
> land on them?
>
> Hmm, right at the beginning? *Loads the mission*
>
> Ah, that's not the only entrance. Search the yard a bit more.

Thank you!! Found it in about 5 seconds. :)

> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
> http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 2:55:50 AM

"Nightwalker" <nightwalkerfmleavemealone@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> "Mos" <Not@YourHouse> wrote in message
>>

>> "paar" <saboatage@lost.com> wrote in message
>>> On the second part of KOTP called Hallucinations I've
>>> completed all the goals except entering the cathedral.
>>> I'm outside under the clocktower. The gate requires a key
>>> and unless there is a pole volt am stuck.
>>
>> I don't remember actually opening the cathedral gate.
>> I think you end that section just by going to the gate
>> after everything is done. Next episode starts you just
>> inside the walled area. If I'm wrong, feel free to call
>> me a few nasty names.
>>
>> You could check TTLG Forums that has the FM discussions
>> and if you're a member, do a search on Hallucinations.
>>

>>> Second is Lord Alans Basement. You start in a small yard
>>> with a cellar door that opens. After 20 times trying to
>>> get down it have died each time. Please assist!
>>

> There is a "Cathedral Gate" key but it's not always in the same place. I
> believe it can be in one of 2 spots, depending on how you play through the
> mission. One is the Lawyer's office, in his desk drawer. To get the drawer
> key, you have to move the picture over the fire. On Easy, you need to frob
> a book on the bookcase. On the other two settings, there's a button under
> the desk. I also remember finding it in the Mortician's building,
> upstairs, I think.

Thanks as it is a sorta timed mission I was rushing around everwhere
trying to figure it out.

> As for those who give up on a mission because it's a bit hard to navigate,
> you're missing out on a lot of really great missions! That's why we have
> forums and newsgroups so you can get a bit of help and continue on without
> getting too frustrated. Lord Alan's Basement is a terrific mission and
> Lord Alan's Fortress, the sequel, is outstanding and it would be a shame
> to miss out on them because you found the first 5 minutes of the first
> mission a bit annoying.

I played Lord Alan's Fortress first and really liked it.

> As for missions being too hard or lacking clues, you honestly have to have
> seen it from the other side to realize just how hard it is to place those
> hints and directions to understand that it is never possible to make it
> right for everyone. If you make it too obvious, there are tons of
> complaints about it being too easy. If some people have to work a bit too
> hard or look for hints on the forums, etc. to figure out where to go or
> what to do, they complain that it's too hard, etc. Having been an alpha
> and betatester for a LOT of missions in the last 4 or 5 years, I've been
> part of trying to fine-tune these things and it is extremely difficult to
> do. The bottom line is that you'll never please everyone so the author of
> the mission usually does the best he/she can and then wait for the
> complaints, as they will inevitably be forthcoming. The goal for most of
> the FM authors I've worked with is to make it clear enough to be playable
> and challenging but not frustrating for the majority of players.

I hate having to ask for assistance cause part of the fun is trying to
figure secrets out for yourself. But some fan missions are so hard that
unless there is a walkthru to guide you it does become frustrating. Thanks!

> Nightwalker
>

> --
> Remove "leavemealone" from email address when replying.

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:20:32 AM

On the 14 Aug 2005, "Mos" <Not@YourHouse> wrote:

<snip>

> I've got it set up so if one has a truly blonde moment, there is a
> physic in town where they can pick up a clue. Plus you get to steal her
> stuff....

Anyone else have fond memories of the in-game help/clue system in Graham
Nelson's 'Curses'? One of the best text adventures I've ever played.

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!
!