PCMCIA USB2 card useful

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 8:34:12 PM

Hello,

my laptop just supports USB2 so I think about upgrading it with a PCMCIA
USB2 card? Would it make sense, is the PCMCIA connection significantly
faster than the USB1 connectors I already have?

If the PCMCIA connection just transfers 15 MBit I can save the money...

Uwe
--

mail to newsgroup@ziegenhagen.info is read only from time to time. If
you need an urgent answer, google for me.

More about : pcmcia usb2 card

September 27, 2004 8:34:13 PM

Uwe Ziegenhagen <newsgroup@ziegenhagen.info> wrote:
: Hello,

: my laptop just supports USB2 so I think about upgrading it with a PCMCIA
: USB2 card? Would it make sense, is the PCMCIA connection significantly
: faster than the USB1 connectors I already have?

Yes, a USB 2.0 card is much faster than USB 1. You will need USB 2
for external hard drives and disc burners. If you don't use either of
these, USB 2 may not help you much.

I have a USB 2.0 card (from D-link) for my laptop and it works very
well.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> Uwe Ziegenhagen <newsgroup@ziegenhagen.info> wrote:
> : Hello,
>
> : my laptop just supports USB2 so I think about upgrading it with a PCMCIA
> : USB2 card? Would it make sense, is the PCMCIA connection significantly
> : faster than the USB1 connectors I already have?
>
> Yes, a USB 2.0 card is much faster than USB 1. You will need USB 2
> for external hard drives and disc burners. If you don't use either of
> these, USB 2 may not help you much.

I've heard that the cards aren't nearly as fast as 'native,' (built-in) USB
2.0 capability--but still much better than USB 1.....

jak

> I have a USB 2.0 card (from D-link) for my laptop and it works very
> well.
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 3:25:50 AM

"Uwe Ziegenhagen" <newsgroup@ziegenhagen.info> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> my laptop just supports USB2

If your laptop already has the USB 2.0 ports why would you need a USB 2.0
slot card?

so I think about upgrading it with a PCMCIA
> USB2 card? Would it make sense, is the PCMCIA connection significantly
> faster than the USB1 connectors I already have?

It makes a lot of sense if you don't already have USB 2.0 ports.

> If the PCMCIA connection just transfers 15 MBit I can save the money...

15 Mbps? That's like low speed USB 1.1 or 2.0. "Hi-speed" USB 2.0 has a
transfer rate of 480 Mbps.

> Uwe
> --
>
> mail to newsgroup@ziegenhagen.info is read only from time to time. If
> you need an urgent answer, google for me.

September 28, 2004 4:48:38 AM

jakdedert <jdedert@bellsouth.net> wrote:
: I've heard that the cards aren't nearly as fast as 'native,' (built-in) USB
: 2.0 capability--but still much better than USB 1.....

Could be. But I have used both external hard drives and a DVD burner
with my USB 2.0 card and I've not noticed any slow speed problems. I
also use the same devices on a desktop with native USB 2.0 hardware
and cannot notice any performance difference. Could be that the
devices I'm using are not even close to using the full 480Mb/sec
bandwidth potential of USB 2.0.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

jakdedert <jdedert@bellsouth.net> wrote:
:
: I've heard that the cards aren't nearly as fast as 'native,' (built-in) USB
: 2.0 capability--but still much better than USB 1.....
:
If they are "Cardbus" USB2.0 cards they should be
just as fast as the built in socket, as both are 32 bit
busses.

If it is a "PCMCIA" USB 2.0 card, then, yeah, it is
only 16 bit bus. Or, the good one, is "compatible", or
well, no, not really cards.

Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
- Thuganlitha
The Power and the Prophet
Robert Don Hughes
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 5:35:22 PM

Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net> wrote:

> If they are "Cardbus" USB2.0 cards they should be
> just as fast as the built in socket, as both are 32 bit
> busses.
>
> If it is a "PCMCIA" USB 2.0 card, then, yeah, it is
> only 16 bit bus. Or, the good one, is "compatible", or
> well, no, not really cards.

There's no such thing as a 16BIT USB adapter. You _must_ have a Cardbus
(32BIT) enabled PC slot in order to use a USB adapter, regardless of whether
it's USB1.1 or USB2.0.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 5:28:48 PM

I also have a D-Link USB 2.0 and it works great. Didn't even have to
manually install any drivers. But where are you finding a USB 1 for less?
When I searched for one for an old laptop that won't take CardBus cards they
were selling for a lot more than 2.0 Cardbus cards.
September 29, 2004 5:56:38 PM

Get a card that uses the NEC chipset - this seems to be the standard and
works best. I had trouble when using a cheap USB 2.0 pcmcia and then got
myself a (more expensive) Adaptec card - and it works fine. Just check
the web, you'll find some comments on this.

martin

!