Which Serial/USB adapter is compatible with Dell Inspiron ..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 11:54:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.gps,comp.sys.laptops,sci.geo.satellite-nav (More info?)

Sorry y'all for cross posting. But I wasn't sure which site would give
me the most accurate reply.

I am about to receive a Dell Inspirion notebook and I have a Garmin
Etrex Legend GPS that I would like to use with my Mapsource products.
The laptop doesn't have a serial port. Just wondering which
Serial/USB adapter works with this combo?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 11:54:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.gps,comp.sys.laptops,sci.geo.satellite-nav (More info?)

HI! I don't know your laptop but with mine HP I use belkin
f5u109 and it has worked on all that I have tried it on.
Jim

Adrien wrote:
> Sorry y'all for cross posting. But I wasn't sure which site would give
> me the most accurate reply.
>
> I am about to receive a Dell Inspirion notebook and I have a Garmin
> Etrex Legend GPS that I would like to use with my Mapsource products.
> The laptop doesn't have a serial port. Just wondering which
> Serial/USB adapter works with this combo?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 12:15:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.gps,comp.sys.laptops,sci.geo.satellite-nav (More info?)

Adrien,

The one that I use for that purpose exactly is an IOGear.

Be a little cautious, not all are fully bi-diredtional. The first one
that I got was an adapter that would only support a serial mouse.

If you get one that says it will work with a PDA, then you are set.

I have a Compaq laptop and a Garmin 45, 48 and GPSII+ that all work fine
this way, and the serial cable has been used one some variety Dell and
something else.

Good Luck

Matt Colie

Adrien wrote:
> Sorry y'all for cross posting. But I wasn't sure which site would give
> me the most accurate reply.
>
> I am about to receive a Dell Inspirion notebook and I have a Garmin
> Etrex Legend GPS that I would like to use with my Mapsource products.
> The laptop doesn't have a serial port. Just wondering which
> Serial/USB adapter works with this combo?
>
> Thanks

a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 12:35:55 AM

Matt Colie wrote:
> Adrien,
>
> The one that I use for that purpose exactly is an IOGear.
>
> Be a little cautious, not all are fully bi-diredtional. The first one
> that I got was an adapter that would only support a serial mouse.
>
> If you get one that says it will work with a PDA, then you are set.
>
> I have a Compaq laptop and a Garmin 45, 48 and GPSII+ that all work
> fine this way, and the serial cable has been used one some variety
> Dell and something else.
>
> Good Luck
>
> Matt Colie
>
> Adrien wrote:
>> Sorry y'all for cross posting. But I wasn't sure which site would
>> give me the most accurate reply.
>>
>> I am about to receive a Dell Inspirion notebook and I have a Garmin
>> Etrex Legend GPS that I would like to use with my Mapsource products.
>> The laptop doesn't have a serial port. Just wondering which
>> Serial/USB adapter works with this combo?
>>
>> Thanks

Has Microsoft solved the problem of some GPS units being identified as a
mouse?

a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 1:32:16 PM

Quaoar wrote:

> Matt Colie wrote:
>
>>Adrien,
>>
>>The one that I use for that purpose exactly is an IOGear.
>>
>>Be a little cautious, not all are fully bi-diredtional. The first one
>>that I got was an adapter that would only support a serial mouse.
>>
>>If you get one that says it will work with a PDA, then you are set.
>>
>>I have a Compaq laptop and a Garmin 45, 48 and GPSII+ that all work
>>fine this way, and the serial cable has been used one some variety
>>Dell and something else.
>>
>>Good Luck
>>
>>Matt Colie
>>
>>Adrien wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry y'all for cross posting. But I wasn't sure which site would
>>>give me the most accurate reply.
>>>
>>>I am about to receive a Dell Inspirion notebook and I have a Garmin
>>>Etrex Legend GPS that I would like to use with my Mapsource products.
>>>The laptop doesn't have a serial port. Just wondering which
>>>Serial/USB adapter works with this combo?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>

> Has Microsoft solved the problem of some GPS units being identified as a
> mouse?

I don't expect MS to ever solve anything...
In this case. if you start the serial port before attaching the GPS - it
works everytime. It has gotten confused when starting everything at the
same time.
Matt
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 3:24:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.gps,comp.sys.laptops,sci.geo.satellite-nav (More info?)

Adrien,

I have an Inspiron 5150 and a Belkin USB-serial adapter and a Garmin 12XL
GPS. Here is what works every time. Very counter intuitive.

1. Boot the computer

2. Plug in the adapter with serial port cable for your Garmin GPS.

3. Turn on your GPS.

4. Plug the serial cable into your GPS.

5. Enjoy uploading and downloading waypoints.

Roger

"Adrien" <cruising@we.fun.com> wrote in message
> Sorry y'all for cross posting. But I wasn't sure which site would give
> me the most accurate reply.
>
> I am about to receive a Dell Inspirion notebook and I have a Garmin
> Etrex Legend GPS that I would like to use with my Mapsource products.
> The laptop doesn't have a serial port. Just wondering which
> Serial/USB adapter works with this combo?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 7:22:46 PM

"Adrien" <cruising@we.fun.com> wrote in news:Md_5d.124030$%S.61336@pd7tw2no:

> Sorry y'all for cross posting. But I wasn't sure which site would give
> me the most accurate reply.
>
> I am about to receive a Dell Inspirion notebook and I have a Garmin
> Etrex Legend GPS that I would like to use with my Mapsource products.
> The laptop doesn't have a serial port. Just wondering which
> Serial/USB adapter works with this combo?
>
> Thanks

IMHO, the operating system installed on your PC (win98, ME, XP pro,
XP home) is the issue, not the PC manufacturer.

My XP pro machine automatically recogizes any USB/serial adapter I have
found thusfar.

Sam
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 2:15:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.gps,comp.sys.laptops,sci.geo.satellite-nav (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:54:20 GMT, "Adrien" <cruising@we.fun.com> wrote
:

>Sorry y'all for cross posting. But I wasn't sure which site would give
>me the most accurate reply.
>
>I am about to receive a Dell Inspirion notebook and I have a Garmin
>Etrex Legend GPS that I would like to use with my Mapsource products.
>The laptop doesn't have a serial port. Just wondering which
>Serial/USB adapter works with this combo?
>
>Thanks

I initially got a Belkin and it would not work at all with my Venture
and GarTrip. I replaced it by a Targus and that works perfectly both
with my Toshiba P20 laptop and my Dell Dimession.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

Archived from groups: alt.satellite.gps,comp.sys.laptops,sci.geo.satellite-nav (More info?)

"Roger A. Jenkins" <jenkinsra@ornl.gov> wrote in message
: Adrien,
:
: I have an Inspiron 5150 and a Belkin USB-serial adapter and a Garmin
12XL
: GPS. Here is what works every time. Very counter intuitive.
:
: 1. Boot the computer
:
: 2. Plug in the adapter with serial port cable for your Garmin GPS.
:
: 3. Turn on your GPS.
:
: 4. Plug the serial cable into your GPS.
:
: 5. Enjoy uploading and downloading waypoints.
:
: Roger

Thanks Roger! I will try that. I recall reading somewhere that the
sequence of installing drivers and connecting the device is very
important in emulating a serial port with the USB.
!