SSD SATA 3 PCIe Port?

kevzz010

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
So guys I'm planning to buy an SSD SATA III but the problem is I don't have a SATA III port I believe. Then I saw the ASROCK Sata 3 PCi-e Card, but how do I install the SSD on it? Do I install the SSD internally or externally? I couldn't find a link on how to install it on ASROCK so, If anyone know a link a tutorial from youtube or any trusted site, please give me a link.
And btw, I'm planning to buy this SSD or the 128GB version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

Thanks guys! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The card has 2 internal SATA ports and 1 external eSATA port.
You connect the card to an available PCIe slot on your motherboard and then you would connect your SSD to one of the internal ports on the card.

The card is a PCIe x1 and uses a Marvell 88SE9123 controller.
The Marvell controller has a maximum data bandwidth of 5Gb/s (500MB/s).
You will not get the maximum advertised Read/Write speeds of any SATA III SSD you connect to this card, but your speeds will still be faster than if you connect the SSD to a SATA II port.

kevzz010

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

So there's not much of difference if i put this on Sata port 2 instead of the one from asrock? And btw, what do you call the back plate for SSDs when installing it? I don't think the plate is included when you buy crucrial M4 SSD

No. The main purpose of the bracket is to allow the SSD to "fit" into the drive bay.
Doesn't matter if it's plastic or steel.

If you're going to be inserting and removing the SSD from the bracket multiple times and you're afraid it might snap or break in the process then go with the steel bracket.