Sign in with
Your question

New i5 build - problems already?

Last response: in Systems
May 4, 2010 11:42:47 AM

Hey guys! Soooo....I got my new rig yesterday...got home, switched on and after a few minutes I got a blue screen and the pc restarted. Switched it back on again and after a few minutes the same.

Today I opened it and checked for loose cables or whatever, took the ram and gpu out and put it back in again and now I can't get any signal from the screen whatsoever. What to do??

This is what I got:

i5 750
asus p7p55d-e pro
4gb mushkin blackline cl7 ram
corsair 750tx psu
gigabyte 5870 gpu
win 7 64bit home premium

Keep in mind that I got the gpu from overseas and the pc was started up and tested before the gpu was put in. I'm clueless plz help???

More about : build problems

May 4, 2010 12:52:55 PM

Hey, yes i read that last night. Just found a/the problem. Started reading the manual - haha. The dram_LED light went on so I just pressed the MemOk! button and whala!! Haven't restarted since.

I also went into the BIOS and changed the AI Overclocker Tuner setting from "auto" to "DOCP" and now the ram is at 1600mhz as it's supposed to be..right?? Or shouldn't I have done this?

Downloading the ATI Catalyst 10.4 drivers now...anything else I should check??
Related resources
May 4, 2010 1:01:49 PM

^ Good that it started working...
Well if the PC is not locking up after setting the speeds, I dont think there is any problem...
You might also want to check the BIOS version of the mobo...
May 4, 2010 1:48:42 PM

Problems persist. Tried installing daemon tools....crashed. Tried installing firefox...it just doesn't respond. Same with Utorrent
May 4, 2010 2:18:52 PM

And now i can't get internet explorer going without the computer starting to freeze again with blue screen...sheesh never had such troubles ever!! BIOS is version 2.06 i think.

May 5, 2010 4:03:49 AM

Last try before disassembling and reassembling would be to do a full reinstall of the OS...
And I would suggest you to go through the checklist once more...
May 5, 2010 4:30:25 PM

It doesn't restart that much anymore but still....the screen looks like there are dead pixels. Plugged in another pc and no problem at all. I uninstalled the ati drivers and reinstalled the new 10.4 ati catalyst drivers. looked fine for a few seconds, but then the green and purple spots reappeared. Do you think the gpu is faulty?
May 5, 2010 4:39:47 PM

figjam_sa said:
It doesn't restart that much anymore but still....the screen looks like there are dead pixels. Plugged in another pc and no problem at all. I uninstalled the ati drivers and reinstalled the new 10.4 ati catalyst drivers. looked fine for a few seconds, but then the green and purple spots reappeared. Do you think the gpu is faulty?

Possible, but unlikely.

One way to check would be to remove the GPU from the new build, but it in your other computer, and see what you get over there.

What I would do first though:
1) download DriverSweeper
2) uninstall Catalyst 10.4
3) reboot into Safe Mode
4) run DriverSweeper
5) reboot
6) reinstall Catalyst 10.4

I was recently working on a PC that was having a lot of issues, and fully clearing out all the old Catalyst leftovers got it running stable...so that's where I'd look first.
May 5, 2010 5:41:04 PM

I probably sound like a noob right now (haha), but is it possible that the problem could be with the driver of the gpu itself - the gigabyte driver? Also, will updating the bios help? if so, how do I update the bios without destroying the computer
May 5, 2010 5:45:47 PM

Updating the BIOS (of the computer) is unlikely to help unless there's something specifically in the release notes about graphics cards having problems.

Note that the procedure I recommended above is removing/reinstalling the GPU's drivers.
May 5, 2010 6:23:25 PM

ok I tried that approach....All I can say is that there were no weird purple dots when the drivers were uninstalled and res at 800x600.

Going to run memtest now next, I don't know what else to do
May 5, 2010 6:31:48 PM

Just to be clear, did you try removing the drivers in Safe Mode with DriverSweeper?

If you just uninstall/install the drivers with the standard Windows packages, it can sometimes leave bits and pieces hanging around.
May 5, 2010 7:34:45 PM

yes, I removed it while in safe mode. next?? ram?? should I try rebooting with one stick ram at a time?
May 5, 2010 7:36:54 PM

What problem are you trying to fix right now? Bluescreens or the video problem?
May 5, 2010 7:44:00 PM

bluescreens stopped for now....thought they mights be the same problem - maybe not. don't know what to do
May 5, 2010 7:49:40 PM

I didn't update the mobo drivers - maybe that?
May 5, 2010 7:50:05 PM

So is all of the following correct?

1) Right now, your screen has weird colored pixels on it
2) It did not have the weird colors when you didn't have the ATI Catalyst drivers installed
3) You have uninstalled the drivers, booted to safe mode, used DriverSweeper, rebooted, reinstalled Catalyst

If all of the above is accurate, then it's almost certainly a driver/software problem.

To verify that it's not a hardware problem, you could try installing the video card in another computer and see if it produces normal screens.

If the 10.4 drivers aren't working, you could try uninstalling/sweeping again and try to install the older 10.3 drivers to see if there's any improvement.
May 5, 2010 9:13:24 PM

ok, I did all that...I installed the card in another pc, installed the drivers, and same thing happened. I'm now downloading the 10.3 drivers and and hoping for the best
May 5, 2010 9:49:51 PM

installed 10.3 drivers, still the same problem...anyone??
May 5, 2010 10:47:15 PM

did memtest, and that's fine. so am I right to say that the gpu is stuffed up??
May 10, 2010 12:08:52 PM

GPU is faulty.......bought it from overseas..looks like I'm screwed. haha
!