judius

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hello all, I'm new to Windows 7 and saw online that I'm supposed to initialize my HDD. My HDD shows up in Device Manager and when I click Disk Management no window pops up and there is only 1 blue box. No black (unallocated) sections.

The box with the blue line on top is C: and it is the primary partition. The only other box below it is my DVD drive.

When i click properties on the C: box it shows my Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD.

Is something wrong here?

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Generally, when windows tells you to initialize the HDD all it wants you to do is set up a partition on it.

I'm not sure the problem that you're describing. Unless you have a hard drive installed that you cannot see in My Computer then you have nothing to worry about. Initializing a HDD is only required if it is a new drive. If it is the drive that windows is installed on then you should be fine.

judius

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Thankyou for your reply. I just built the computer so I just wanted to make sure everything was good to go.

The only things I'm seeing on My Computer is the C: and D: drives so I guess everything is working as intended? Just wasn't sure if it was setup correctly.