Sign in with
Your question

In need of help with my Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
June 16, 2012 8:15:10 PM

Hello Everyone,
I have been trying to fix my hard drive for 2 days now and I have had no luck. I have come across a lot of ideas but none of them work for me at all. I shows up in Device manager, but not in the Disk Management. I took snap shots and pasted them here to show what I see. The hard drive is a Maxtor H256. It also says Fireball 3 ATA/133 HDD 30 GB on it also. the other Part number I see on it is 00U408. I have almost filled up my hard drive now and wanted to use this one to make room on my main Hard drive. I have tried other hard drives through the USB enclosure and they all work fine.
I am installing it on a desktop with Windows XP on it. My laptop has windows 7. I have it in a enclosure now. The enclosure is a CMB, it had a 250 GB Hard drive n it that I took out. I use the 250 for systems back ups. Any help would be help here since I have tried everything have come across to try.

Thanks
James

Before pictures

After pictures

More about : hard drive

a c 326 G Storage
June 18, 2012 10:04:50 AM

Have you jumpered the drive as master?

Otherwise try installing it internally. Some IDE drives don't seem to get along with certain USB bridge ICs.
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:16:40 PM

I have tried all of that. If i try to connect it to my laptop from the USB, it shows that it isn't initialize . I have tried everything to get it initialize, but still come up empty handed. I just have no clue where to go from here.
m
l
Related resources
a c 386 G Storage
June 19, 2012 7:35:27 PM

Does your desktop pc have an IDE connector in it or is it all sata? If it has IDE, I'd try hooking it up there.

fzabkar asked if you could hook it up internally, but you didn't answer, only saying you tried USB on your laptop.
m
l
June 22, 2012 6:06:16 PM

I am sorry that i didn't answer about the IDE part. I have tried to connect it with the IDE cable. It just shows the same.
I forgot to mention that what started all of this is that my crazy self thought I could just go through the hard drive and delete all files off of it to make it a fresh hard drive. I didn't know I could format it and get it done faster and the correct way. If I was to leave anything on the hard drive, I deleted it also. There wasn't anything on the drive when I was finished.
This just goes to show that PEOPLE shouldn't mess with anything they have no clue what to do. If I would have just googeled how to clean a hard drive, I probably wouldn't be in this mess now.

Thanks,
James
m
l
June 22, 2012 6:11:59 PM

The drive also sounds smooth and quiet like it should. It
m
l
!