Thinkpad T21 -- Flaky display

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 5:52:43 PM

Lately, when I turn on the laptop, sometimes the screen does not turn
on. At first I thought the laptop is broken with no warning; but
accidententally, I found that the machine is working; just the screen
does not light up.

If I turn the laptop off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on
again, the screen will come back up after a few tries -- so far.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Is this the beginning of the
end for my screen? Or did I accidentally change some settings?

[By the way, can anyone tell me how to get into setup during boot?]

If the display screen totally breaks down in the future, is the rest
of the laptop of any use -- e.g. would it work entirely with an
external monitor? If yes, how?

TIA
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 11:11:10 PM

Probaby the inverter. Pick one up on Ebay
<0b3hks001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> Lately, when I turn on the laptop, sometimes the screen does not turn
> on. At first I thought the laptop is broken with no warning; but
> accidententally, I found that the machine is working; just the screen
> does not light up.
>
> If I turn the laptop off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on
> again, the screen will come back up after a few tries -- so far.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem is? Is this the beginning of the
> end for my screen? Or did I accidentally change some settings?
>
> [By the way, can anyone tell me how to get into setup during boot?]
>
> If the display screen totally breaks down in the future, is the rest
> of the laptop of any use -- e.g. would it work entirely with an
> external monitor? If yes, how?
>
> TIA
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 6:08:33 AM

I have a vague memory that the screen connector works loose on some
T2x machines. Go to the IBM web site, find the repair manual which
shows how to lift the keyboard. Underneith, the connector is
obvious. Try reseating it.

Obviously, YMMV, and be careful.

(The keyboard is a user replaceable FRU, so its not crazy to do this).
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 4:57:23 AM

"Bruce Markowitz" <scosgt@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<2rrl0cF1dh7svU1@uni-berlin.de>...

> Probaby the inverter. Pick one up on Ebay

What is the inverter?

> <0b3hks001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> > Lately, when I turn on the laptop, sometimes the screen does not turn
> > on. At first I thought the laptop is broken with no warning; but
> > accidententally, I found that the machine is working; just the screen
> > does not light up.
> >
> > If I turn the laptop off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on
> > again, the screen will come back up after a few tries -- so far.
> >
> > Does anyone know what the problem is? Is this the beginning of the
> > end for my screen? Or did I accidentally change some settings?
> >
> > [By the way, can anyone tell me how to get into setup during boot?]
> >
> > If the display screen totally breaks down in the future, is the rest
> > of the laptop of any use -- e.g. would it work entirely with an
> > external monitor? If yes, how?
> >
> > TIA
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 5:01:39 AM

Marc Auslander <marcslists@optonline.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message news:<87wtyfi2qh.fsf@aptiva.optonline.net>...
> I have a vague memory that the screen connector works loose on some
> T2x machines. Go to the IBM web site, find the repair manual which
> shows how to lift the keyboard. Underneith, the connector is
> obvious. Try reseating it.

I can't find the repair manual on IBM's web site. But it does have
the Hardware Maintenance Manual, Setup Guide and Usuer Reference
Guide. Would it be the Hardware Maintenance Manual?

> Obviously, YMMV, and be careful.
>
> (The keyboard is a user replaceable FRU, so its not crazy to do this).
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 8:43:25 PM

0b3hks001@sneakemail.com wrote:

> I can't find the repair manual on IBM's web site. But it does have
> the Hardware Maintenance Manual, Setup Guide and Usuer Reference
> Guide. Would it be the Hardware Maintenance Manual?

Repair = Maintenance!
--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 1:02:54 PM

If the backlight fires momentarily its the inverter... Easy to change!
And inexpensive as well.
!