Routers are the most frustrating thing,,,need a review

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Hi guys,

I f*cking hate routers - especially now that they are wireless.

I have gone through a Netgear WGR614 and a Linksys WRT54G. Both are wireless G, and I'm fed up with their issues....so I figure lets move onto wireless-n

Does anyone know if there is a quality wireless-n router review out there? I am concerned that most of the stuff I have been reading is either written by the router companies, or is in some way biased.

I do a lot of gaming, have 3 hard lines, and 3 computers that connect wirelessly.

I'm also not a complete noob, and did load my WRT54G with DD-WRT a few months ago. Right now that router seems bricked (even though it worked for 6 months, and there was nothing changed...just poof dead)

I also have considerable Linux / web development experience if there is a more server-admin-friendly solution to my frustration with consumer-grade routers.

Price is definitely an issue, I'm not trying to break the bank.

Thanks for any help,
Alex

optimusprime619

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
u didn't mention the version of WGR614..moreover with some N routers especially Netgear the wireless range and consistency become major issues and people end up reducing it G standard to get a better range and strength...

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I have the Netgear WNR3500. the first 1-2 weeks I had it liked to drop wireless connections and or not let anything connect via wireless. But now it is doing alot better, haven't had to mess with it, I don't know what change to make it work. it has been running for about 8-9 months now. I did turn off the DHCP server and now have a dedicated computer doing all of that. the netgear is now just an access point and a switch, seams to be doing fine.
I have the WRT54GS loved it I don't think I ever had a problem with it. it has been running for years. but it is sadly only a G router :(