Hi all.

I need ur help urgent.

As many of u know, I'm not from the US but all my components has bee buy it from newegg.com or microcenter.com.

Now, I want upgrade my rig to the new Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 and Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600 a friend of mine is on Miami now and come back to my country in two days, he can buy the components for me there but I need tell to him a good please to go and buy it that components.

Can u help me in what site he can find that components? or the mobo that is the most important?, I know that the RAM is very difficult to find, but is the best RAM IMO.

Another option could be G.Skill?

Finally, i need a good advice about the thermal grase to install my hyper 212+ in the new mobo.

Please help!!

Solution
2 days is going to be cutting it a little close on shipping. Do you know if there are any physical parts stores around there? Juding from Microcenter's website, the closest store to Florida is in Georgia, so that might not be an option...

If you're not against paying a lot for next day air, you can get it from anywhere.
2 days is going to be cutting it a little close on shipping. Do you know if there are any physical parts stores around there? Juding from Microcenter's website, the closest store to Florida is in Georgia, so that might not be an option...

If you're not against paying a lot for next day air, you can get it from anywhere.

Solution

olender

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
What CPU will you be using with the 890FXA-UD5?

If you can't find the Crucial RAM, G.Skill is another good option. I use G.Skill in my Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5. Just make sure the RAM is compatible with you're motherboard (check manufacturer website specifications) as some people have had trouble matching certain G.Skill RAM with AMD specified boards as they are mainly designed to be compatible with the Intel i5/i7 boards.

For thermal paste I would recommend Arctic Silver 5 (will run you about 10 dollars at most places).

olender

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Yes I know its out of stock on newegg, but you have to remember if you only have 2 days to get all your parts you won't be able to order from newegg unless you feel like spending 50+ on overnight shipping. Is that something you're willing to do? If so I can recommend looking at other sites for the 890FX or 790FX as there won't be much variability in the pricing for the most part.

Otherwise you need to have your friend in Miami find the nearest computer parts/hardware store and see if they have any of your components in stock. Often times I find its easier to get parts off line, but if you only have 2 days, you might have to bite the bullet and pay overnight shipping if you need parts that fast.

olender

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Here's a good review of several different thermal compounds: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2009/04/07/thermal_paste_shootout_q209/5

It also notes that you should follow the instructions for applying the paste. It actually made a difference. For example, AS5 states that you should apply with a drop in the center and use pressure to spread it out. The testing showed that doing it that way actually led to lower temps.

olender

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

I agree you should always follow manufacturer instructions, but if you take a look at the above article I posted, DHT HSF require special attention as they are not typical flat surface HSF. Placing a single spot in the center showed very poor coverage, where as filling the gaps between the copper piping with TIM and then placing two lines half the length of the CPU in the middle spaced apart an equal length. Just take a look at the pictures it'll make more sense.

Any method that covers more of the CPU surface will provide the best temperature management, regardless of manufacturer specifications, IMHO.