Sign in with
Your question

Processor for Windows 7 64-bit

Last response: in CPUs
July 11, 2010 6:06:00 PM

I'm getting a laptop with 64-bit Windows 7 and 8 MB RAM. In choosing a processor, I can opt for an Intel i5 (dual-core) or Intel i7 (quad-core). The i7 has a slower speed, but again, is quad-core. Is there any reason that I should go with the i7 - does the 64-bit work better with quad v. dual for any reason - or stick with the i5? The i5 is typically cheaper.
Thanks.

More about : processor windows bit

a c 81 à CPUs
July 11, 2010 7:11:06 PM

As i read it, you are opting for 8GB of RAM.. So i guess the laptop will be used as a desktop replacement for gaming or some heavy work with 3D or designing or some other professional work.. Going for the quad is a better option in that case..
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
July 12, 2010 6:34:10 AM

Like emperus said, it depends entirely on what you intend to do with the computer, which you have not told us.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
July 12, 2010 7:45:33 AM

Also be aware that your choice of CPU will likely influence your choice of motherboard, and hence the price.

Regardless of what you do with the PC, I'd pick a quad over a dual any day of the week.
m
l
July 12, 2010 3:39:01 PM

I should think the M/B would be a constant on a laptop purchase.

You would go with the i7 if you need it for video editing or any other application that would make use of the 4 cores. You would stick with the i5 if you are trying to squeeze every minute out of your battery life. But no, 64-bit is not impacted by the number of cores any more than 32-bit is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
July 12, 2010 3:51:58 PM

THE OS is correct for the amount of hardware you intend on purchasing. As for which processor, the i5 is plenty for casual/typical usage. Either will run Windows 7 x64 perfectly well.
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
July 12, 2010 5:01:15 PM

Scotteq said:
THE OS is correct for the amount of hardware you intend on purchasing. As for which processor, the i5 is plenty for casual/typical usage. Either will run Windows 7 x64 perfectly well.

How do you plan to explain 8 gigs of RAM for casual/typical usage..??
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
July 12, 2010 5:07:19 PM

I don't.

But then again, it's not my computer, and the original poster has given us no information about his intentions for it. I provided that comment simply so the OP can make his own decision based on his needs. If his usage isn't normal/typical, then he should be perfectly knowledgeable about that and infer that an i5 may not be adequate for this application.

Besides: It would hardly be the first time someone overbought RAM. How do we know he hasn't done that?

Thirdly, since the OP hasn't given any usage data, perhaps YOU would like to explain why an i5 isn't adequate?

Kind of hard to do that when the OP hasn't told us what he wants the computer for, yah? Or perhaps you may merely be looking for an argument?
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
July 12, 2010 10:35:30 PM

Scotteq said:
I don't.

But then again, it's not my computer, and the original poster has given us no information about his intentions for it. I provided that comment simply so the OP can make his own decision based on his needs. If his usage isn't normal/typical, then he should be perfectly knowledgeable about that and infer that an i5 may not be adequate for this application.

Besides: It would hardly be the first time someone overbought RAM. How do we know he hasn't done that?

Thirdly, since the OP hasn't given any usage data, perhaps YOU would like to explain why an i5 isn't adequate?

Kind of hard to do that when the OP hasn't told us what he wants the computer for, yah? Or perhaps you may merely be looking for an argument?

Well am definitely not looking up for an argument.. OP surely has not provided his typical usage scenario but based on his selection of that much RAM, it has a 50% chances of being a workhorse build up.. My apologies though in case my post sounded harsh.. I guess its best for OP to put forth his usage first..
m
l
!