Sign in with
Your question

Question About Power Supply and Case

Last response: in Systems
May 4, 2010 3:45:10 PM

This is my first build. I'm taking things slowly as I want a high end machine.

I have already purchased a COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 RC-840-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum
ATX Full Tower Computer Case. See url.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am looking at a modular power supply for a bottom mount and I need to make sure
the cables are long enough as this is a very large case.

The power supply that I am looking at is a: Ultra X4 1050-Watt Modular Power Supply - 135mm Fan, ATX, Lifetime Warranty, 80+ Silver, NVIDIA SLI & ATI Crossfire Certifications. See Url.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

I'm leaning towards a Evga ATX Intel Motherboard but haven't really decided on that
yet. I thought the EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard but it's pretty big and pricey. I don't know if it will fit in the case. But I sure like some of the features on it.

As I said taking things slowly. But I need a power supply as my next step. I would
appreciate anyone's input.

Thanks in advance.

May 4, 2010 3:51:25 PM

The first thing to point out is that PSU isn't a great choice. You don't need that much power. Stick to the major brands (Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, Silverstone) or other proven units. Another thing to point out is that you don't need a modular unit for a bottom mounted case. In fact, I usually don't recommend it unless the efficiency is a lot higher, as you're paying for the same cable management feature twice (the bottom mounted case and the modular cables).

It would help to know what GPU you're planning on using, as that will determine how big of a PSU you need.

I would also stay away from the EVGA boards. They're expensive and don't offer a whole lot in terms of useful features. You don't need more than two video cards as adding the third doesn't do hardly anything.
a c 144 ) Power supply
May 4, 2010 4:12:14 PM

Here is one source of extension cables:
Extension cables
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g44/c34/s276/list/p1/DI...

I needed CPU power extension cables with my Antec and Corsair PSU's and Gigabyte motherboards in Antec 900 cases if I wanted to run the CPU power cables behind the motherboard trays.
Related resources
May 6, 2010 5:53:31 PM

Thanks for the advice. I did find a Corsair that I liked. It was my first choice until I
saw the Ultra. As for the GPU then I haven't really decided yet. I'd like to use
something along the lines of a GeForce GTX 480. Perhaps you can tell me which
one do you think would be the best choice.

As for motherboards then I'd like to have one that can hold 24 gigs of ram, at least 3
Pci-Express Slots. Two for graphics and 1 for TV Tuner / Video Capture Card. Most likely
then I will have four or five hard drives.

I have considered the ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s
USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. I want a motherboard that allows me to expand
and not limit me on future ideas. I am not building a gaming machine. Yes I do
play intensive games. But I do lots of projects for people which require speed
and storage.

I really do appreciate your advice. Sorry it's taken me a few days to get back
with you. The week started moving fast for me.

Thanks Again.

MadAdmiral said:
The first thing to point out is that PSU isn't a great choice. You don't need that much power. Stick to the major brands (Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, Silverstone) or other proven units. Another thing to point out is that you don't need a modular unit for a bottom mounted case. In fact, I usually don't recommend it unless the efficiency is a lot higher, as you're paying for the same cable management feature twice (the bottom mounted case and the modular cables).

It would help to know what GPU you're planning on using, as that will determine how big of a PSU you need.

I would also stay away from the EVGA boards. They're expensive and don't offer a whole lot in terms of useful features. You don't need more than two video cards as adding the third doesn't do hardly anything.

May 6, 2010 6:07:32 PM

Hey thanks for sending me the url for extension cables. It's a huge case and I know
there are going to be things which won't reach using cable management. The case
is bigger then what I expected. It looks like it could grow legs and walk away. But I
really like the removable motherboard tray and the amount of space in there. It also
has lots of room for expansion.

Really appreciate the url as that will be really helpful.

jsc said:
Here is one source of extension cables:
Extension cables
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g44/c34/s276/list/p1/DI...

I needed CPU power extension cables with my Antec and Corsair PSU's and Gigabyte motherboards in Antec 900 cases if I wanted to run the CPU power cables behind the motherboard trays.

!