Logon loop and cant activate after MB swap

Deslatur

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I have a Windows XP Pro system that I had to replace a motherboard on. I swapped out the board and then did windows xp repair. The system was completely fine through 3 reboots as I installed the new drivers that came with the motherboard. After that was completed I shut it down and then moved it over to another room where I could hook it to internet. It had successfully booted after all installs were completed. Now after it was plugged in to CAT5 the user accounts will all log on and immediately log off. Windows is not yet activated and it prompts me to activate as the user logs in. If I choose activate the system hangs permanently. If I choose not to activate at this time It goes back to the logon screen.

Most of my searching has lead me to various repairs for the replacing the winlogon.exe file or the userinit.exe file or editing the registry entries for these files due to virus complications of these files. I didnt have any of those issues but I did verify registry values are correct and did replace those files from the XP CD. I have also attempted to run the full windows xp repair again and had no change in results. I am really trying to avoid a fresh install if at all possible.

Deslatur

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Cant boot into safe mode unless windows xp has been activated. Thats a big part of why this is so annoying. Been using PE boot disk to mod the registry and the xp recovery console to make any changes.

Deslatur

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Unfortunately those wont solve my problem. I cant log in to be able to type in the key. If I choose yes to activate i see the background but nothing else. Ctrl+alt+del doesnt work and nor does ctrl+shift+esc. I cant even see what is making it hang. I let it sit for 2 hours but it never changes. So its a combo of a logon loop and the fact that i cant activate.

Actually it's the spam filter, blame the twats who have spammed this forum with links to that site.

Deslatur

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
(change Activation Required value to zero)

Problem with this part is this registry entry does not exist. How can I fix that part?

Deslatur

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
DWORD set at 0 (all zeros) value I have the same results as well. Exact spelling is ActivationRequired. I had assumed a string because it is a single zero switch as opposed to a DWORD having a hex value.

Deslatur

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I have done thousands of repairs myself and I think this may be the first time I actually am defeated and have to do a fresh install. I have 3 more days to get this thing back to the owner. Just hoping for someone to have seen this before and know how to kill it.