Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Seeking Final Approval - $1500

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 4, 2010 5:52:53 PM

I know im not using the standard Form, but i figure this is just as easy to read.

The system will be used for gaming as well as a home theater PC, as well as used to edit some small movies and photoshop for webdesign and ebay listings.
The company i work for (Technology Sales) grants me access to some great discounts.
As far as Dual Video Cards go, i think the card i chose will be great for a year or so, then i can throw a second in
Intending to push 930 to its limits - will purchase micro center's warranty for CPUs, i basically can cook it, warranty is like 30 bucks.

CPU: Core i7 930 - $199.99 - http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Board: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - $199.99 After Rebate - http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Memory: G.SKILL DDR3 8-8-8-21 - $184.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video Card: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100281VX-2SR Radeon HD 5870 1GB - $404.20 - Thru My Work

Optical Drive: LG Black 10X BD-ROM - $104.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black SATA 3 1TB - $94.99 - Thru my Work
Other Drives I will run in Raid 0

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D - $273.99 - http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CC800DW-Obsidian-Aluminum...

PSU: SILVERSTONE DA750 - $109.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Cooler: not 100% sure as of now, looking at Noctua NH-D14 - $87.95 - http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpipe-Bearing-Cooler-NH...

Total - $1,661.08

I'm pretty tempted to go water cooled but i really dont want to spend more money, i feel like that money may be better put towards a solid state drive?
If i did go water cooled, what would you guys recommend, the case should allow a nice h20 setup.

Let me know, Thank you!
May 4, 2010 5:58:01 PM

You have an incomplete list.
May 4, 2010 6:08:27 PM

You only listed your CPU, which is fine, but it's tough to give any opinion not seeing the rest of the build or knowing your budget.
Related resources
May 4, 2010 7:00:05 PM

LOL i had to stop in the middle of typing. sorry about that guys.
May 4, 2010 7:05:43 PM

What other drives are you using to run in raid?

Stick with Samsung f3 1TB drives is cheaper and faster
May 4, 2010 7:13:09 PM

antisyzygy said:
What other drives are you using to run in raid?

Stick with Samsung f3 1TB drives is cheaper and faster


Do you have any benchmarks that indicate this?

Because i work where i do, i have the ability to grab random used hard drives, i have about 10 western digital drives that are sata 1 320GB i plan to use for media, then i have about 4 120GB Western Digital Blue Drives that are sata 2, that i plan to run raid 0.

I will prob just grab some parts from work and make a torrent machine with those 320gb drives, ive already got a raid card for it.
May 4, 2010 7:18:04 PM

Heres a quick one, others exist. Just google Samsung Spinpoint f3 vs Western Digital Black

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...

In the past I always bought WD Black because I have a long history with WD making awesome drives, however I think Samsung stole that spot from them this time. I would have got the Samsung in my recent build if it werent for the fact that my local Microcenter did not carry them at the time.
May 4, 2010 7:22:02 PM

antisyzygy said:
Heres a quick one, others exist. Just google Samsung Spinpoint f3 vs Western Digital Black

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...

In the past I always bought WD Black because I have a long history with WD making awesome drives, however I think Samsung stole that spot from them this time. I would have got the Samsung in my recent build if it werent for the fact that my local Microcenter did not carry them at the time.


...thats not the SATA 3 Black
May 4, 2010 7:28:16 PM

The SATA 3 WD Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) performs similarly to the Spinpoint F3 and the 7200.12. If you're getting it for approximately the same price, you might as well go for it.

Build looks decent. I'd go for an SSD over water cooling, it's going to make the computer feel a lot faster.
May 4, 2010 7:29:36 PM

if if it was there is A LOT more to hdd's than just mb/s
May 4, 2010 7:32:33 PM

One of my concerns was that if i do eventually Crossfire the 5870, its going to push the sata 3.0 to sata 2.0 because it is running off the PCI Express controller...
Any comments on this?
May 4, 2010 7:33:33 PM

eloplayspolo said:
...thats not the SATA 3 Black


Sorry, I misread.
May 4, 2010 7:38:47 PM

antisyzygy said:
Sorry, I misread.


no worries, i appreciate the help, and besides, u reminded me to ask about the PCI E issue with the X58 boards.
It almost makes me wana just get an i7 860, save the money on RAM, i mean the whole purpose of gamers getting a 1366 board is to allow the use of true 16x crossfire, but if you plan to use a sata 6.0GB p/s drive, you are right back to the 1156 Speeds.

This is where i was really fumbling around with parts.
May 4, 2010 7:39:50 PM

all hdd are similar in speed overall.
May 4, 2010 7:40:49 PM

eloplayspolo said:
One of my concerns was that if i do eventually Crossfire the 5870, its going to push the sata 3.0 to sata 2.0 because it is running off the PCI Express controller...
Any comments on this?


I don't put much weight in crossfiring as an upgrade. Its usually better to do it at the get go. Otherwise 1 to 1.5 years down the road a better single card will come out in your price range and you can upgrade to it.

If you are going to crossfire in like 3-6 months then maybe its a concern.

I am still having trouble finding any reviews on the WD Black SATA 3 that doesnt compare it to other WD drives.
May 4, 2010 7:56:45 PM

Somebody_007 said:
all hdd are similar in speed overall.


Thats a pretty broad statement, i can go grab a fiber based scsi drive in my warehouse that costs 100s of dollars for 32GBs of drive space, or i can go grab another scsi drive thats 15krpm, there is a reason they make different speeds.
May 4, 2010 8:02:09 PM

antisyzygy said:
I don't put much weight in crossfiring as an upgrade. Its usually better to do it at the get go. Otherwise 1 to 1.5 years down the road a better single card will come out in your price range and you can upgrade to it.

If you are going to crossfire in like 3-6 months then maybe its a concern.

I am still having trouble finding any reviews on the WD Black SATA 3 that doesnt compare it to other WD drives.


That being said, what would be the drawback of going with a 1156 based board, 4GB memory, Smaller PSU, ive now saved 100 bucks or so and i could use that towards a SSD, and use my existing hard drives in Raid 0
May 4, 2010 8:25:51 PM

eloplayspolo said:
Thats a pretty broad statement, i can go grab a fiber based scsi drive in my warehouse that costs 100s of dollars for 32GBs of drive space, or i can go grab another scsi drive thats 15krpm, there is a reason they make different speeds.


Yeah, have to agree. Generally speaking, sure, all mechanical hard drives access data in a number of milliseconds. But to get more technical, some do it in 2-4 ms, while others take 10+ ms.

The WD1002FAEX uses 500 GB platters, exactly like the Spinpoint F3s and 7200.12s, so it's going to have top end performance for a desktop 7200 rpm drive, and are pretty much the best price/performance deal on mechanical hard drives right now.

If you can get the WD1002FAEX for approximately the same price as the Samsung/Seagate equivalent, then by all means, go for it. Of course, the SATA 3 bandwidth isn't going to come close to getting used, but if you're happier with the warranty, etc. then great.
May 4, 2010 8:26:20 PM

just looked at it again, its about 170 dollars cheaper to go with a smaller psu, i7 860 and 4gb Memory....
May 4, 2010 8:27:52 PM

eloplayspolo said:
That being said, what would be the drawback of going with a 1156 based board, 4GB memory, Smaller PSU, ive now saved 100 bucks or so and i could use that towards a SSD, and use my existing hard drives in Raid 0


You would have a lower potential max throughput based on # of PCI-E 2.0 lanes, but that's only going to matter if you're trying to crossfire 2x 5970s or similar.

Either way, both socket 1156 and 1366 are being phased out next year, so there's not much difference there.

Strictly speaking, the i5-750 is the best pure gaming CPU that Intel makes. Hyperthreading doesn't help out in games, and while it would add a little to your other tasks, it sounds like most of your other usage is rather light, and taking a couple extra seconds to finish an edit every couple of weeks is probably not a big deal.
May 4, 2010 8:43:28 PM

coldsleep said:
You would have a lower potential max throughput based on # of PCI-E 2.0 lanes, but that's only going to matter if you're trying to crossfire 2x 5970s or similar.

Either way, both socket 1156 and 1366 are being phased out next year, so there's not much difference there.

Strictly speaking, the i5-750 is the best pure gaming CPU that Intel makes. Hyperthreading doesn't help out in games, and while it would add a little to your other tasks, it sounds like most of your other usage is rather light, and taking a couple extra seconds to finish an edit every couple of weeks is probably not a big deal.


there is a 20 dollar diff between the 750 and 860. If i am overclocking hard, i could disable the HT on the 860, where does that leave me?
May 4, 2010 8:47:52 PM

The only real concern is if you plan to eventually crossfire 2 high-end graphics cards...and even then it's only supposed to be about a 4-5% loss.

If switching to 1156 means that you can get an SSD (or a 5970), I think you should go for it.
May 4, 2010 9:06:30 PM

coldsleep said:
The only real concern is if you plan to eventually crossfire 2 high-end graphics cards...and even then it's only supposed to be about a 4-5% loss.

If switching to 1156 means that you can get an SSD (or a 5970), I think you should go for it.


what do u think of that board for the price i mentioned, the distributor only has 1 left at that price... should i jump on it?
May 4, 2010 9:15:01 PM

A Maximus III for $161 looks like a great deal. I don't have any experience with the board, but they're supposedly pretty high-end. You don't get USB 3 or SATA III, but other than that, not much missing.
May 4, 2010 9:25:14 PM

coldsleep said:
A Maximus III for $161 looks like a great deal. I don't have any experience with the board, but they're supposedly pretty high-end. You don't get USB 3 or SATA III, but other than that, not much missing.


that leaves me with i7 or i5...?

Best solution

May 4, 2010 9:29:35 PM
Share

i7 if the extra $$ is worth it to be slightly faster at non-gaming tasks.

i5 if the extra $$ is not worth it.
May 4, 2010 9:48:53 PM

Best answer selected by eloplayspolo.
May 4, 2010 9:53:19 PM

550 W is not going to be enough for 2x 5870 if you eventually crossfire. I'd suggest at least 650 W, possibly 750. If you have changed your mind about eventually crossfirining, then that's fine, but then the Rampage III becomes overkill.

This Antec Earthwatts 650 is $75 + shipping.

This Corsair 750TX is $110 with free shipping (not counting a $10 MIR).

This G.Skill RAM is slightly faster than the Corsair RAM you have linked, and it's $5 cheaper. Otherwise, the RAM you have is fine and should work.

The i7 and the Rampage III at that price look good.
May 4, 2010 10:13:07 PM

y do u feel the rampage is overkill if i dont crossfire?

Another reason i jumped on it was the sound card - gonna be connecting it to high end set up.

i was either gonna go with a single 5870 or the 5970. I think the machine will get the job done till i get bored with it, luckily where i work i can easily sell the machine and not lose a ton of money.
May 5, 2010 6:13:49 AM

Here is what i have Decided to go with....

I7 860 - 200.00 MicroCenter

Asus Maximus III Gene - 162.00 From my Work - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 7-8-8-26 - 121.00 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W - 45.00 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100281VX-2SR Radeon HD 5870 1GB - 404.00 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D - $273.99 - http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CC80 [...] B002JLAU58

LG Black 10X BD-ROM - $104.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Noctua NH-D14 - $87.95 - http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatp [...] B002VKVZ1A ------- Gonna have to mod the Fans and paint the blades Red and Frame Black.

Total: 1398.99

will end up adding a SSD later, If i do add another video card i will just upgrade the PSU, i dont mind throwing 50 bucks away later to save 70 while i spend this much.






!