Freezes when cold?

pro_onSNOW

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hey I built a new computer and it seems to always freeze in the morning about 2-3 min after I start it up. All aps seem to be loaded.

It just stone cold freezes, no warning of any kind. everything just stops working and completly freezes... ctrl-alt -del has no effert.

I ran memtest yesterday for 8hrs with no errors.. and then it froze again this morning. After a hard rebout it works for another couple min then freezes. It will do this continuously unlesss i let it sit and warm up. After has been running for a while it never freezes.
Kinda defeats the purpose of a ssd if it bouts up really fast and then I have to wait for 15min to start using it.

My setup is:

i5-750
Biostar t5xe cfx-sli
4gb a data ddr3
rosewill 750 powersupply
galaxy geforce 9500
ozc 60 gb agility ssd
500 gb wd drive

Any ideas why this is happening?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Heat-related failures and performance issues tend to fall into "statistical" categories ...

More often ... it is the opposite (i.e. "Fail upon warmup").

System is less than 90 Days old and so, this is your "burn-test" period, when probs are most likely to "reveal".

Certainly no reason to suspect your SSD ... "right off the bat".

Hopefully, this is a "physical thermal expansion" issue, due to marginal physical connection which only becomes electrically functional, once warm.

It could be that your ram may need a small bump in voltage.

DOING ANY OVER-CLOCKING ?

It could also be the PSU.

Of course, other possibilities exist but, *I* beleive those to be "less likely".

I have good news ... and I have bad news.

The good news is that I predict that a complete tear-down and rebuild WILL fix.

The bad news is that I predict that a complete tear-down and rebuild is necessary.

... You COULD just start by removing/disconnecting and reseating your RAM, GPU, Drive Cables (all) and main power connectors.

Put your RAM in different slots (shuffle rotate) and use a different power cable on your GPU (if).

If that first "flurry of blind mayhem" does not shake the fault loose, then a much more complete and methodical "breadboard-rebuild" (from scratch) will be required.

Some of the checkpoints on this list may help you to hit most of the main points on your first "run-thru" ... BUT ... If it does not "solve easy" after "all that" ... Then ... Tear it down, to the screws ... build the very most basic and simple testable config, outside the case, ... build, test, log, ... add component ... test ... log ... etc.

Start taking careful (written) notes (exact error/symptoms ... conditions ... timed failures ... etc ... like you are already doing).

Should be able to nail it down pretty quick if you don't assume or dismiss "the unlikely".

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

= Al =

pro_onSNOW

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I board comes witha auto oc feature that I was using...but went back to stock setting to try and eliminate the freezing problem..no luck.

I ran memtest 86 for 8 hrs without any errors... wouldnt that rule out any possibility of the memory be underpowered or faulty?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
And ... please utilize all of Goat-Boy's advice and all others ...

... BUT ... *IF* you should find yourself no closer to a solution, some several days hence, then you will need to get brutally methodical and boolean as hell.

... gotta eliminate ALL "FUZZ".

= Al =