Sign in with
Your question

CMOS low battery after replacement

Last response: in Motherboards
January 18, 2011 12:44:14 PM

My computer gave me a low cmos battery message and when it booted in to the operating system it had the wrong time and date. So I turned it off, unplugged it and replaced the cmos battery. When I booted it up it still said low cmos battery and i changed the time in bios and when i booted into the operating system it still had the wrong date and time. Any Suggestions???
January 18, 2011 2:00:59 PM

I too am having the same problem with my intel 845, everytime I switch on the UPS, the system starts automatically and I get a message "CMOS/GPNV checksum bad, date time not set". Please help.
m
l
January 18, 2011 2:58:03 PM

yeah but mine will let me into the operating system but just the time and date are the only things out of place
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2011 6:56:13 PM

Buy a new cr2032 battery, take old one out, put new one in,
Simples!
/makes meerkat kissy noise.....
Moto
m
l
January 19, 2011 12:31:18 AM

Already did it. With two different batteries, with the same results
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 5:11:24 AM

Damn, Meerkat fail hehe :) 
on a serious note then, try memtesting your sticks, see what that throws up
Moto
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 3:04:47 PM

couple of things:
(1) Don't buy cmos batterries from Biglots, dollar stores ect. and check the dtd on package. There is a self life for these batteries and occassionally they set on a store self for long periods of time.

(2) If battery is KNOWN to be good, then most common cause is a MB/bios chip problem that is causing excessive current drain on the CMOS battery - These batteries are for very low current drain applications. Would require a DVM to verify. (a) measure voltage before putting in and (b) measure voltage with it in place (which may be difficault to do).

As Motopsychojdn indicated, a mem check would be a good idea.
m
l
!