Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about bad sectors

Last response: in Storage
June 17, 2012 2:45:50 AM

If I have a hard drive with some bad sectors that have been marked by chkdsk, and am going to format and reinstall Windows 7, will I need to run chkdsk again after the fact to mark those bad sectors? If that is the case, don't I run the risk of the installation writing files to those bad sectors?

More about : question bad sectors

Best solution

a c 317 G Storage
June 17, 2012 3:13:37 AM

While you can use that drive, if it already has a significant number of bad sectors I would use a different drive for the OS and just use that one for storage -- and always use good backup habits.

The install won't write to those sectors as once they are marked bad they will never be written to again.
June 17, 2012 3:23:23 AM

^+1. It's fine if it's a small number but if there's too many I wouldn't be trusting the drive, especially for the OS.
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2012 3:31:05 AM

Ok thank you. It is on a netbook that doesn't get used much and doesn't have anything important stored on it. It's something that I don't really want to put any money into (replacing the drive). How then is a sector that has been marked stored or remembered? I figured it was some sort of file or registry entry that simply told Windows not to write to that part of the hard drive.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
June 17, 2012 3:45:32 AM

dsj2086 said:
Ok thank you. It is on a netbook that doesn't get used much and doesn't have anything important stored on it. It's something that I don't really want to put any money into (replacing the drive). How then is a sector that has been marked stored or remembered? I figured it was some sort of file or registry entry that simply told Windows not to write to that part of the hard drive.

The physical drive has a dedicated sector to record bad sectors so it will not be an issue once marked.
m
l
June 17, 2012 3:49:03 AM

Best answer selected by dsj2086.
m
l
June 17, 2012 3:49:07 AM

Ah ok. That makes more sense then. Thank you for your help and quick responses.
m
l
!