Question about bad sectors

dsj2086

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
If I have a hard drive with some bad sectors that have been marked by chkdsk, and am going to format and reinstall Windows 7, will I need to run chkdsk again after the fact to mark those bad sectors? If that is the case, don't I run the risk of the installation writing files to those bad sectors?

Solution
While you can use that drive, if it already has a significant number of bad sectors I would use a different drive for the OS and just use that one for storage -- and always use good backup habits.

The install won't write to those sectors as once they are marked bad they will never be written to again.

RealBeast

Titan
While you can use that drive, if it already has a significant number of bad sectors I would use a different drive for the OS and just use that one for storage -- and always use good backup habits.

The install won't write to those sectors as once they are marked bad they will never be written to again.

Solution

dsj2086

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Ok thank you. It is on a netbook that doesn't get used much and doesn't have anything important stored on it. It's something that I don't really want to put any money into (replacing the drive). How then is a sector that has been marked stored or remembered? I figured it was some sort of file or registry entry that simply told Windows not to write to that part of the hard drive.

RealBeast

Titan

The physical drive has a dedicated sector to record bad sectors so it will not be an issue once marked.

TRENDING THREADS