Problem with an ATI Radeon HD 5670

slasherfly

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
hello, i recently bought an XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 w/ 1 gig of ddr5 memory and i am having problems running it on my computer. I would like to know if the problem is with my psu or the mobo not supporting it somehow. What happens is that when i power on my comp all the fans in the system go on at full power and stays that way w/o booting up. I was running an XFX Radeon 4670 1gig prior to this and it worked fine.

Here is my psu

the rest of my comp is senile. Its an hp pavillion a1355c with 2 gigs of memory. if you need any more info on my comp just ask.

Thanks..... :)

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
The problem may be that his motherboard has a PCIe 1.0 or 1.0a PCIe x16 slot. This has been an ongoing issue with some PCIe 2.1 5000-Series ATI cards for some time, as it doesn't seem as though they're fully backwards compatible with all chipsets.

Look to HP for a BIOS update. Beg for one if you must. If HP doesn't have one, have them tell you the exact make and model of your motherboard and ask for the motherboard manufacturer's technical support information. Then, contact the manufacturer and request a BIOS update.

slasherfly

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
thanks rolli and razbery. it problably is the slot not being supported but the problem is that hp only has one bios update and its for some display issues with the bios not displalying something when its in spanish. Asus doesnt have this any updates for this model because apparently they made it for hp and left it up to them to update it.
thanks again. im going to build my first rig soon so i can dump this pavillion. in the meantime i guess i wont be able to game.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Looks like it's a standard Micro-ATX form factor. You might be able to find a Socket-939 mATX board on eBay for a fair price. Though, you might run into the exact same problem with one of them, too.

Sh*t man... I wish I had a real solution for you. Fact is, there's something not quite right about the backwards compatibility of these cards. Only AMD/ATI can do something about that. You can always try to see if XFX has a cure. Their tech support is solid and usually very helpful. Maybe they have a trick up their sleeves. I'm tempted to contact them myself right now and ask about it... I already have an active support ticket :)

Edit: And I just did that. Maybe I can get an answer for you.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I don't think the PSU matters in this case. This card powers completely through the motherboard. His PSU has the proper 2+2 motherboard power cable, and the primary 12V rail is rated for 12A, which is 144W Max output. Unless he's got a 100W+ CPU, his system should have enough power to at least initialize the 5670. Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace that thing though... It's using a much older design that favors the 3 and 5 volt rails over the 12 volt.

I'll mention it, though. I'm currently waiting on them to respond specifically to the PCIe 2.1 compatibility with PCIe 1.0 and 1.0a issue, as well as if these cards were even tested with the RS482 chipset for support.

Just had an interesting thought...

What if he had a card that required a PCIe 6-pin power cable, like a 5750? Usually in a dual-12V-rail PSU, the PCIe cable draws from the 2nd rail. That card could then draw at least some of it's power through that rail, reducing load on the primary rail as it's powering the CPU and other 12V devices... His PSU seems like an idiot design using two rails that are so weak. I think it would be better off if it were a single-rail design.

I suppose we'll cross that PSU bridge when we come to it.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Toledo and Manchester... 2 models whose names I haven't heard in a LONG time. CPU-Z would settle that straight away.

Wouldn't it be great if all PSU makers labeled all the wiring in regards to which rail each cable pulled from in a multi-rail setup? My Antec gives me that info, and I find it quite useful.

Though, I suppose the easiest solution overall would be to go with a PCIe 2.0 card rather than wait on responses from manufacturers, huh? Like a 4670, 9600GT, or GT240.

slasherfly

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
the model is a manchester and thank you guys again for helping out .

im may get a new psu i was thinking of getting the ocz stealth xstream 500w or the 600w depending on the funds i may have............. any thoughts?

in the meantime before i build my first comp i am using an old geforce 8400gs(let that weigh in on your souls)......j/k

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
LOL @ the 8400GS joke. I was actually bitchin about how many of those cards are STILL available earlier in a different topic.

Those OCZ's aren't bad PSU's. The ModXStream's have some nice rebates right now that really bring their prices down, like this 500W one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016
Add the $5 promo code and the $25 rebate and you've got yourself one helluva $35 PSU.

Then there's the "Fata|1ty" 550W with the same offers (rebate + promo code) for $5 more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

If rebates aren't your style, and I can't say I blame you if they aren't, the StealthXStream is $56 + $10 shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341012

You may find that cheaper elsewhere, but notice it only has a 1-year warranty whereas the ModXStreams carry a 3-year.

slasherfly

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
well im doing my shopping at micro center

i can get the stealthxstream for $30 w/ rebates and their instant savings

or i can either get the 600w stealthxstream or the 500w modxstream both at $50 with rebates and savings

do you reccomend any thing else thats reliable for the price or are these ocz good enough?

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
In store shopping prices at MicroCenter are hard, and sometimes impossible to beat. I used to live not far from the one in St. Davids, PA. I really miss picking up odds and ends in there at truly great prices.

Those OCZ's should be quite adequate for your needs, especially considering the bargain price. But... I can vaguely remember someone citing a design inadequacy or dependability issue within one of their lines. I just can't recall if it was ModXStream or SteathXStream. Sorry...

To be perfectly honest, I've been outta touch when it comes to PSUs for a while because I haven't needed one since last fall. I'm not on top of who offers the best bargain-priced PSU's anymore. Antec had some sweet deals last year on 380-500W Earthwatts PSUs last year. Now they're upwards of $50 or so for the "cheap" Basiq-series models. Earthwatts and TruePower PSUs are even higher.

Corsair may have a few 500-550W models in that price range. May not have any active rebates to compare with those OCZ though.

slasherfly

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
so i went with the stealthxtream 600w and what do you know the psu wasnt the problem. i hooked it up and it was the same thing as the other one. but this psu is pretty sweet and its quiet. i guess ill keep it.

since the problem is problably with the slot not being supported then i guess i can wait.

thanks again though for helping out!

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I'd just stick with the 4670. This was a lot of trouble to go through to end up with a 4850. It really isn't that huge a step up considering how CPU-bound he is in the first place. See if they'll take the PSU back or put it aside and save it for a new build.

slasherfly

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
okay since this hp is going to dissapear what do you guys recommend grahics card wise. should i stay with the 5670 or go with th 4850 or maybe something else?

these are the parts im thinking of getting for my first build.

CPU- AMD Phenom II X2 555 (maybe unlock those 2 other cores)

Mobo- Asus M4A785TD-M Evo AM3 (not to sure though up for recommendations)

Memory- OCZ 4GB DDR3 1600 Obsidian Kit

PSU - stick with the OCZ 600 that i bought

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
No real need to go to a top-tier card, other than hopes that it will last a long time. Most games play great at that resolution on mid-grade cards. 5670's rival good old 8800/9800 GT's, which quite honestly are still very capable cards at that resolution. However, it definitely under-performs in Direct X 11. I'd consider returning it due to it not functioning in the PC for which it was intended. Explain to them that it just won't work in a mobo using a PCIe 1.0 slot.

There's one model ATI card that just doesn't get enough attention - the 5830. For about $230, these cards bring major performance to the table. They rival 4890 and GTX275 performance. With 4890's and 275's all but totally gone, they're basically all that's left in that performance bracket. But, another $60 gets you a 5850, which is a totally kick-ass card.

One of those would be my recommendation. Both would just plain wreck games at that resolution.

As for the other components, all are excellent choices. Though this Crucial DDR3-1333 kit is the one everyone's been talking about for it's overclockability and just outstanding overall performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148262

Something else to consider... The 555 vs 955/965. Yeah, many 555's unlock. But, the "true" quads are now only $60 to $80 more. This wasn't the case last summer when the 955 was still $260 or so while the 550 was $102. The price gap has shrunk significantly. So, rather than take a chance, it might be worth it to just buy a genuine quad. Also, if you intend to OC it at all, consider an aftermarket cooler as well. There are some excellent ones available for under $30. Whatever CPU you choose, be certain it's a C3-Stepping model.

slasherfly

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
slight change in mobo- im actually getting the M4A79XTD EVO 790X/SB750

as for the memory you recommended, micro center has the same kit for $130 but maybe i can get them to prize match neweggs prize

as for the cooler im going with the Scythe Shuriken Rev.B 3

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Hell yeah get them to match the price! Or at least give you some kinda combo discount. :)

Unless you're getting the Shuriken for ~$20 or less, I'd seriously consider changing your mind, especially if you intend to overclock. (Which is usually the whole reason to get an aftermarket cooler...) There are better coolers in the Shuriken Rev.B's typical $30 price range like:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Xigmatek HDT-S1283/S1284/S1284EE
Scythe Zipang 2 (SCZP-2000)
And many more around within $10.
The Zalman CNPS10X Performa is a very solid ~$40 contender.
Another ~$40 contender is the Akasa AK-967. It's hard to find in the US, but it's reviews all affirm it's a damn fine cooler that rivals all of the above, yet manages to do so while remaining as quiet as the Shuriken. The others will all be noticeably louder. I think Sidewindercomputers.com might have it. They're one of the very few Akasa dealers in the US. I got 2 AK-920 EVO CPU coolers and a Vortexx Neo GPU cooler there.

As for the motherboard choice, I like it! I have a very similar AM2+ Gigabyte board I purchased last June and I love it.

Something to consider... AMD's 6-core CPU's are scheduled to debut in roughly 3 weeks. So far, most speculate they're going to be damn good CPUs falling in the $200-$300 range initially. No one knows if it will affect the AMD 955/965 prices any, but if there's a $200 6-core that runs around 3.0-3.4 GHz, it might just be worth the extra $20-$40 over the 955/965 CPUs. I'm anxious for their debut because I may replace my current Phenom II X3 720 BE with one.