Sign in with
Your question

CPU Overheating?

Last response: in CPUs
July 11, 2010 9:03:40 PM

Hi all, for at least a few months my computer has undergone "spikes" of 100% CPU usage when under ANY load (even flash games). I've tried many things but have decided to take a look at my CPU temp.

When idling it sits at about 60-62 degrees Celsius, and when under load it goes up to 70-75 degrees Celsius.
My processor is an AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core.

The CPU fan, along with other fans in my case are very dusty, and my wires are cluttered.

My question is, would cleaning the dust with compressed air, and fixing my wire management lower my CPU temp and make my computer more efficient?

More about : cpu overheating

a b à CPUs
July 11, 2010 9:07:32 PM

Yes, cleaning all of the dust off would almost definitely help lower your CPU temps, particularly if your CPU fan is also very dusty. Dust is a very good thermal insulator so any dust in a system is not good at all.

If you wanted to an even more thorough job you could remove the heatsink and fan unit and clean off any leftover thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol from both the heatsink and the CPU. You'll then need to re-apply thermal paste and fit the heatsink correctly in place. Google and YouTube are your friends if you want more info on this. Hope this helps and good luck!
m
l
a c 207 à CPUs
July 11, 2010 9:07:42 PM

Yes, blowing the dust out of the heatsink so that air can flow through it like its supposed to should drop your temps back down to more reasonable levels like 60C at load.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 11, 2010 9:27:23 PM

Thanks I'll see how much cleaning the dust helps, and if I'm not satisfied I'll definitely look into cleaning and re-applying thermal paste. Appreciate the help.
m
l
July 12, 2010 11:38:27 PM

I cleaned out the dust but that didn't really seem to do anything. It still idles at around 60 degrees and goes to around 70 when under load.

One thing I don't understand is that it considers games like Runescape 100% load. I thought a lot more demanding games like Crysis would put a heavy load on your CPU, not a Java-based game such as Runescape. These 100% spikes are causing my computer to lag, and I'm not sure if it's because of overheating or not.
m
l
July 13, 2010 12:18:51 AM

i also have this problem with the same processor. i have tried everything to lower the temp but all failed so i will buy a new processor n heatsink
m
l
!