Sign in with
Your question

New Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
January 18, 2011 4:29:59 PM

Hi all

Basically ive been told quite often it is probably a good idea to get a new motherboard so i can run a better graphics card. But i have no idea how much money its gonna cost or any i would wanna look for.

My current system is:
Wolfdale 1333-D667 mobo
Intel E8400 @3.0 GHz
4 GB RAM
1 sata HDD
1 CD RW
500w corsair CX500 12v @ 34A
9500GT gfx card but i wanna upgrade to a GTS 450 or GTX 460 but im not sure my current motherboard will run them as i have had problems with a Radeon 5770

Any links or advice on which to buy would be nice and i really dont wanna go too high on the price so im looking for 100£ max really

Thanks.

Boar

More about : motherboard

a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2011 4:44:17 PM

I would say you certainly could benefit from an upgrade. What will the system be used for? How much are you willing to spend on the project?
January 18, 2011 5:07:48 PM

Hi
It will mainly be used for everyday things however i do like the odd game or 2 hence the need for a gfx card upgrade. Im not a major high end user of the most recent games however and I mainly play Dawn of War II.

I mean the thing is i dont wanna run the risk of a new graphics card not working with this motherboard again which is what happened when i got a Radeon 5770. If the GTS or GTX card would work with the motherboard i have i wouldnt upgrade and would save for a completely new system in the near future.

However if i do need to upgrade my motherboard i would be looking at spending no more than 100£. Everything else i have is sufficient to what i do with the computer. Just needs a jolly good graphics update. After saying that ive probably put this in the wrong thread but yeah i just want a general idea of what price it would cost to get a board sufficient to run the card and save money for a proper update in the future.

Thanks
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 3:03:27 AM

HeavenlyBoar said:
Hi
It will mainly be used for everyday things however i do like the odd game or 2 hence the need for a gfx card upgrade. Im not a major high end user of the most recent games however and I mainly play Dawn of War II.

I mean the thing is i dont wanna run the risk of a new graphics card not working with this motherboard again which is what happened when i got a Radeon 5770. If the GTS or GTX card would work with the motherboard i have i wouldnt upgrade and would save for a completely new system in the near future.

However if i do need to upgrade my motherboard i would be looking at spending no more than 100£. Everything else i have is sufficient to what i do with the computer. Just needs a jolly good graphics update. After saying that ive probably put this in the wrong thread but yeah i just want a general idea of what price it would cost to get a board sufficient to run the card and save money for a proper update in the future.

Thanks

Well, first of all, I am a bit concerned that no one else has signed into this thread yet. Either the usual suspects have gone to bed or they are busy watching TV. Anyway, IMO, you need a motherboard, RAM and CPU. I would not upgrade just the board but I guess you could if you can still find one that works for the E8400. Not that the E8400 wasn't a superb chip in its' day, but it is rather dated today. Besides that issue, you'll need a new power supply since 500w is not enough for the GTX 460 you want.

My suggestion is a new Sandy Bridge mobo (P67 chip set), a 2500k or a 2600k CPU so you can OC it, and some DDR3 RAM at 1333 or 1600 Mhz. I suggest 8GB but 4Gb is suffice. There are several brands that will fit the bill....just buy the cheapest since it doesn't make a lot of difference in actual performance. Take a look at the ASUS lines using the 1155 socket with the P67 chipset. If you want a Gigabyte mobo, they also offer Sandy Bridge from cheap to expensive. There are some lessor known brands out there as well but these two are the most common and most popular.

Hope this helps.

!