Sign in with
Your question

Hot laptop and transformer

Last response: in Components
July 11, 2010 10:31:36 PM

I have a laptop that is getting very hot, even with fan underneath (1) but have tried fan with 2 blowers also. No change. Also, transformer (rectangular piece between electric plug and computer plug...don't know if it's the right word) is soooo hot to touch. Is this normal?
Please advise?
Have an hp pavillion dv2500, 4GB ram, 64 bit.
Thank you, Donna LaBanca
dmlab913@optimum.net

More about : hot laptop transformer

a c 276 ) Power supply
July 11, 2010 11:07:32 PM

Hot for computer parts and what you would consider hot are quite different, your CPU is perfectly safe at 60C(140F), if you touched something that was 60C you would find it to be quite hot. Download a program called HW Monitor from CPUID, it will let you monitor your temperatures, post your idle temps(when its been sitting at the desktop for a while doing nothing) and your load temps(for a desktop normally thats using prime95, but you can just put it under the scenario you use it under that makes it the hottest)

The transformer, i often call them power bricks, usually get quite warm, the HP ones arent too efficient, i have a 90W on for my DV9000 that gets hot enough that you feel like it might burn your hand, mine is rated for 100-240V in at a max current of 1.5A, with an output of 4.7A at 19V which means its about 60% efficient(89.3/150) at worse case which is pretty crappy and means quite a bit of power is turning straight into heat.

Also, i suggest taking your email address out of the post to avoid spam bots
m
l
July 11, 2010 11:38:19 PM

dmlab said:
I have a laptop that is getting very hot, even with fan underneath (1) but have tried fan with 2 blowers also. No change. Also, transformer (rectangular piece between electric plug and computer plug...don't know if it's the right word) is soooo hot to touch. Is this normal?
Please advise?
Thank you, Donna LaBanca
dmlab913@optimum.net

Does it shutdown?
m
l
July 20, 2010 10:11:00 PM

2137510,1,672550 said:
Please advise?
Thank you, Donna LaBanca

Thank you hunter315. I wasn't sure about the amount of heat that is ok.
I will download that utility so I can get familiar with the temps when idle and working.
Also, I am new to forums, so how do I get rid of the email address. I tried to delete it in 'profile', but it wouldn't let me.
Thanks again.
dmlab913
m
l
!