Sign in with
Your question

1155 MB and crossfire

Last response: in Motherboards
January 18, 2011 4:36:18 PM

I am wanting to run 2x Radeon HD 6870 CF. Will this mobo:

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-D2H - Socket 1155 Motherboard

hinder the performance of my gfx cards in crossfire?

More about : 1155 crossfire

January 18, 2011 6:44:08 PM

Put in another way: the gfx cards speak of using a PCI-E x16 slot. Naturally I would need two of these. If the manufacturer states that when 2 gfx cards are in crossfire both slots operate at x8 (this because it only has 1 x16 slot). How much of a problem is this?
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 18, 2011 6:57:16 PM

Well it depends on your monitor(s) total resolution. On a single monitor with 2560X1600 (or lower) won't impact, and if you CF less than HD 5970/HD 5870. I would go the SLI route.

DRAFT - Building recommendations:
Related resources
January 19, 2011 9:30:21 AM

Ok, so I have already bought 2x Radeon HD6870. As I understand if Im below 2560X1600 8x/8x will not hinder the performance of my machine?

I was looking at:
GA-H67A-UD3H
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

My problem is that I get lost in all the technical stuff :o 

can someone please explain what this means, if I would like to run two cards in crossfire with a res of 2560X1600:

Expansion Slots
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
* The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX1_2 slot. When both slots are populated, the PCIEX4 slot will operate at up to x1 mode.
2 x PCI Express x1 slots
(All PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
3 x PCI slots

Will it be ok?
January 19, 2011 9:35:51 AM

Ok... meh, should have posed the P67. Would still be great if that expansion slot jargon could be expained.

Thanks
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 9:56:34 AM

PCI-E x16 is the faster slot.
PCI-E x4 is the slower slot (much slower actually).

I would recommend a different motherboard: You are pressed for cash, so the standard P8P67 from ASUS would be a better choice. Difference in price between the P8P67 and the P8P67 PRO is very little, but still that cash could be better spent on a faster GPU.

The P8P67 board sports 2x PCI-E x16, so you will be well covered in terms of speed for your two GFX cards. You won't get as much of a bottleneck as you would at the PCI-E x4 slot in very high demanding applications.

I just sold my rig, and ordered the P8P67 Pro, complete with everything I need to build a Sandy Bridge rig. And then I noticed it only arrives in SA on the 31st January. The next week and a half is going to suuuuuuuuck...
January 19, 2011 11:11:25 AM

Toxxyc said:

I would recommend a different motherboard: You are pressed for cash, so the standard P8P67 from ASUS would be a better choice. Difference in price between the P8P67 and the P8P67 PRO is very little, but still that cash could be better spent on a faster GPU.

How much you pay for it? And where in SA you order your pro from?
January 19, 2011 11:20:19 AM

Just read this review:

"Thankfully, the rest of the P8P67 is laid out sensibly, with a large gap between the two 16x PCI-E slots, and SATA ports that are mounted parallel to the motherboard in order to aid tidy cabling. However, dual-GPU enthusiasts should note that the second 16x PCI-E slot provides only four lanes of bandwidth, and that SLI and CrossFire aren’t supported. The internal USB 3 header is also well positioned, as it’s located next to the ATX power connector so that it’s positioned near to your front panel cables."

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/01/1...

That mobo running crossfire will 4x bandwidth in crossfire, so it doesnt solve the problem really! Well thats what that article means to me. The fact that it has 2 PCI-E x16 slots doesnt mean that it runs at x16/x16 if its in crossfire.
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 12:34:34 PM

BlizzardSSE said:
Ok, so I have already bought 2x Radeon HD6870. As I understand if Im below 2560X1600 8x/8x will not hinder the performance of my machine?

I was looking at:
GA-H67A-UD3H
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

My problem is that I get lost in all the technical stuff :o 

The fundamental, problem is the H67 Chipsets lacks the processing ability to handle either Crossfire or SLI - period. Anology, it's like asking the Chipset to multiply numbers but all it knows how to do is add numbers. Therefore, it will not work - period. Next there are (PCIEX16) = x16, x8, x4 PCIe 'LANES'; it's like a highway with a speed & capacity limit. The current very high-end GPUs can saturate an x8 (fill the lane at its speed & capacity limits). Current mid-level GPUs are somewhere in between x4+~x8, so you want at least x8 to avoid the saturation 'bottleneck.' Next the higher the resolution the more data that needs to be sent and calculated in PCIe lane.

In the case of "1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)" this is not used for or in any way connected to CF or SLI as stated above, it can be used for other PCIe devices e.g. RevoDrive.

Next, P67 most MOBOs will support both CF or SLI, BUT you must verify that is says in your case CrossfireX support.
Example GA-P65A-UD3 is a CF ONLY with x16/x4 - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
Example GA-P67A-UD5 is both a CF & SLI x8/x8 - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

Therefore, if you stuck on GA get the GA-P67A-UD5 ; please note that bad batches have been produced by Gigabyte. Further, as I recommended before get the ASUS P8P67 PRO. YES, CF/SLI MOBO are expensive, YES most of the cheaper MOBOs won't run CF/SLI, YES you want at least x8/x8 CF and/or SLI.

Worst, yet some Intel P67 won't allow overclocking of the 'K' CPU; so it's a good idea to verify everything before buying.
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2011 3:58:49 AM

BlizzardSSE said:
How much you pay for it? And where in SA you order your pro from?

I paid R1,946 for mine, at Nivo Shopping. If you are in SA, there is no way I would recommend a different store than them. They sell at prices that is well below the average market price in SA, and they offer very reliable service. They are quick as well, and I've never been disappointed by them (bought my Logitech G500 mouse, CM-Storm: Weapon of Choice M4 Mousepad, GCard, CPU and everything from them).

The standard P8P67 sells for R1,729, and I'm sure you can see that to pay R200 more is well worth it, as you get and extra PCI-E slot and triple SLI support (where the standard has NO SLI support whatsoever).

Nivo also offers their own currency you can build up, called nBucks. You earn these by writing reviews for products you bought from them, and they award you 20nBucks = R20 for every review. Comes in handy to cancel out that irritating cents and loose rands you have to pay then, as you simply use your nBucks to pay for a fraction of your purchase.

They never ask for the receipt if something you bought breaks, as they save all the product info on your account (date of purchase, serial number and warranty time), and if the product is still in warranty, they will come pick up the product from your house, ship it away to be fixed/replaced and then send it back to you. That's what I like to call "good service" in South Africa :D 
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2011 4:01:15 AM

Also, listen to the guy who posted before me. An Intel board is a no-no. NOT recommended, the run hot and they just don't perform the way they should for a gaming rig. They are much better suited for a workhorse, IMHO. Something for your mother. Or granny.
!