Sign in with
Your question

Photoshop Desktop or Laptop?

Last response: in Systems
May 4, 2010 8:50:36 PM

First of all I want to say thanks for taking the time to read this, it's definitely appreciate it. I am a student at the Art Institute and most of the computers that we work on are Macs. I am majoring in Film Design and utilize a lot of different programs Photoshop/Final Cut /Maya etc.. I currently have a PC at home and have never owned a Mac. The lingo here is that Macs are designed to handle these programs better than PCs. My computer literacy is pretty high but as far as a good advise and future proofing myself.. Is it better that I build a home PC computer or go with a MacBook Pro? My budge is around $3000 which is a good amount of money and I want to be really smart before pulling the trigger on either.
I have to say I do enjoy gaming a lot on the side and definitely don't want to lock myself with something I can't do that with.
Thanks for your time.
May 4, 2010 9:38:58 PM

For your intended use and budget I would say a homebuilt PC would certainly be the best option. You're not going to be doing much gaming on a MacBook Pro. Your budget allows for a very high-end build around something like an Intel i7 930 that would blow a MacBook Pro out of the water.
m
l
May 4, 2010 10:44:46 PM

Thanks. I think I am going to go with a home built PC.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2010 10:46:07 PM

If you provide us with all the information in the "How to ask for new build advice" sticky at the top of the forum we can come up with a build optimized to your intended use and budget.
m
l
May 4, 2010 11:42:24 PM

Quote:
The lingo here is that Macs are designed to handle these programs better than PCs.

Actually no, the case is that most design professionals use Macs and thus have a bias toward Macs. The programs most likely work almost exactly the same in both environments, any user that thinks it runs "better" in one than the other probably isn't as good at using the other environment and probably feels hindered due to this. The advantage of a Mac would be that you would get used to what may very well be your work operating environment, the advantage of a PC is higher performance hardware at a lower cost.

m
l
!