Sign in with
Your question

RAM Build up

Last response: in Storage
June 17, 2012 6:06:46 AM

Hey, so I've noticed this before but figured it was JUST my HDD, I'm not positive and have no way of actually testing it, but on occasion my RAM will just not dump and I'll build up to about 6.8 of 8 GB used, and massive lags start to happen, the only resolution I can find is reset.

I also have a 5 year old WDCaviar Green HDD, yes I know green is inferior but it was cheaper and I plan on just getting an SSD and using my external if the HDD is the root.

So quite a while ago, my Hard drive seemed to fail, I tested it, switched to another hard drive, my system booted fine, I left for work and let my hdd sit on top of the case, came home plugged it in, tested it, didn't work.
Since it didn't work I figured I'm going to get some management done, so I organized some wires, tested the voltages with a voltimeter and plugged it back in, just for SnG's, it worked, the original error was that it lacked boot files.
Could this RAM Build up be that my HDD is not accepting memory dumps in session or something? or could both parts be problematic? :/ 
Lifetime warranty on RAM +1 Kingston

More about : ram build

a b G Storage
June 17, 2012 6:21:37 AM

Problem seems to be something causing a memory hole. Check what is using all of this memory in the task manager.
June 17, 2012 6:24:48 AM

That's the problem, there is NEVER anything actually using it, it's just GONE. I've checked that :/ 
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 17, 2012 6:30:51 AM

Try disabling super fetch.
June 17, 2012 6:39:54 AM

Ok I did, but I won't even be able to know if that helped, this happens only occasionally. Any other suggestions if that hadn't worked? COULD, this be hardware related?
a b G Storage
June 17, 2012 6:40:22 AM

It could be, but it probably isn't. Other things that you might try would include outright re-installing Windows. I'm not sure if anything less would help. What version of Windows are you running and is it fully updated? Have you run a virus scan (with antivirus better than Norton of Mcafee)?
June 17, 2012 6:41:32 AM

No, I reinstalled windows before and I'm still here it can't be that.
a b G Storage
June 17, 2012 6:42:49 AM

Timendo said:
No, I reinstalled windows before and I'm still here it can't be that.

Are you running Windows 7 and is your Windows installation fully up to date?
June 17, 2012 6:42:50 AM

I have issues with some programs at times, my video drivers used to crash daily, and this game vindictus also used to have crashes, now only vindictus crashes on occasion, and I haven't changed the video drivers at all since that.
June 17, 2012 6:43:30 AM

No, Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
Edit:yes it's up to date as well.
a b G Storage
June 17, 2012 6:45:17 AM

Is it up to date?
June 17, 2012 6:48:55 AM

Yes
a b G Storage
June 17, 2012 6:51:45 AM

Well, maybe you have faulty RAM or something... However, that's still odd and I don't know what is causing this problem
June 17, 2012 6:52:26 AM

Another note I forgot, I have a WD Disk Checker Utilitiy, and I ran MemTest86 both, passed, I spent about 3 hours running Memtest, 3 full passes no errors on neither.
a b G Storage
June 17, 2012 6:55:11 AM

Timendo said:
Another note I forgot, I have a WD Disk Checker Utilitiy, and I ran MemTest86 both, passed, I spent about 3 hours running Memtest, 3 full passes no errors on neither.

Did you try each module individually? Sometimes, problem modules don't show their problems unless you run it with only one module at a time. However, I don't think that the RAM is the problem. Try updating your motherboard's BIOS.
June 17, 2012 6:56:00 AM

I updated my BiOS recently, also no I did not test each stick separately.
a b G Storage
June 17, 2012 7:00:12 AM

Timendo said:
I updated my BiOS recently, also no I did not test each stick separately.

Did the problems start happening right after the BIOS update? That might be the problem. It could have been a bad BIOS update.
June 17, 2012 7:00:34 AM

No it wasn't afterwards, it was before and after.
a b G Storage
June 17, 2012 7:05:28 AM

Timendo said:
No it wasn't afterwards, it was before and after.

Unless we can figure out what is using that memory capacity, this might be very difficult to fix. I'm running out of ideas. Maybe someone else can come in.
June 17, 2012 7:45:24 AM

Ok I MAY have a problem with my RAM, while I Was extracting ARMA II game installation file, my ram was back at 7.8G of 8, this is when I was having a problem just recently, although It wasn't always the ARMA II installer...

Anyway, so I just let it extract this time without restarting and I'm back to 1.00 GB right after it finished extracting, does that seem like RAM fault?
a b G Storage
June 17, 2012 11:59:01 AM

Well, hardware RAM problems generally don't manifest in such a way. They are usually errors and cause crashes.
!