Oddest problem i have ever encountered

mscook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Hey Guys,
i am having the weirdest hardware say. to make a long story short (and i will expound on what i mean the story) my computer shirts out and dies when my mouse is plugged into it. however this is a problem as of 45 mins ago. Up until then it was working perfectly fine... Thought it was the key board (keyboard has USB ports) so i got a new one but still the same problem. My mouse is a Sharkoon Fireglider ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QF5EC6/ref=oss_product ) its an awesome mouse. key Board is the Old Logitech G15 key board. upgraded to the new Logitech G15 with the same results. When the mouse is plugged into the the Key board its as if its not getting power, the computer registers it but the mouse never lights up or works (other mice however do work). however on top of it all the fireglider mouse works in my moms old laptop. So im not really sure if it is even the mouse though that seems to be the trigger for the short. Any suggestions or tests that you can think that i should try on this problem? thanks A lot in advance. you usually really help out and i look forward to the responses.

Solution
You may have a faulty power supply, although I would have thought that you would be having other symptoms if this were the case. More likely is the USB driver has become corrupt. Set a restore point and then from device manager remove all USB devices and hubs and let Windows reinstall them.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
It sounds like your USB 2.0 sub system may be acting up. If the mouse works in another Computer then it is most likely the computer itself that needs addressing. Just to make sure unplug all other usb devices and then add them one at a time. Make sure your USB ports are not damaged as these can cause shorts which will cause your PC to fail instantly. Another possible culprit is the PSU which may be functioning well except for where it powers the USB system.

needsumhelplol

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Try a different slot.. if you already tried, and same thing happens then no need to try all of them... i would advise against plugging the mouse in for the time being at the very least xD

How long have you had the mouse? if it's under any sort of warranty then see if getting it replaced helps...
Possibly a problem with your USB ports like Wamphyri said.

Do you have any sort of setup (BIOS) options you could change that are related to your USB ports?

Also if you have access to a keyboard that isn't a logitech G15 try it and see if it still shorts the computer

mscook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys! I have tested the ports and even used another laser mouse (wireless) and an optical mouse (wired). I tried them first in the key board and then in the USB's that my Fireglider have crashed the computer on. One think i would like to point out is that the mouse didnt short the computer while it was plugged into the key board. It only shorted the computer when it was directly connected to the USB on the mother board. That is when the short happened. The Bios is a good starting point Need i will go puts around on the USB settings. I think you might have hit the nailed on the head Wam never thought USB 2,0 that was busted, thought i find it funny that so much else works in it. i mean the computer wont even boot when the mouse is plugged in and as soon as it makes contact with the mobo bam its off....not crashed but straight black screen no power off.

You may have a faulty power supply, although I would have thought that you would be having other symptoms if this were the case. More likely is the USB driver has become corrupt. Set a restore point and then from device manager remove all USB devices and hubs and let Windows reinstall them.

Solution

mscook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
dear pjmelect oh how i love thy let me counts the ways... Dude it worked your amazing thanks so much!!! you just saved me lots of money and time that i would sink into this. Thanks for all the info guys. One last question what would cause my usb controller to get corrupt?

dear pjmelect oh how i love thy let me counts the ways... Dude it worked your amazing thanks so much!!! you just saved me lots of money and time that i would sink into this. Thanks for all the info guys. One last question what would cause my usb controller to get corrupt?

I am glad that my suggestion worked and how I wish that you were a girl. ;) There are a number of ways that the drivers can become corrupt, but the most common reason is due to memory errors I suggest that you run memtest86 overnight to eliminate this possibility.

mscook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
will def do that because later last night and today it started doing it again so i reformatted (because that is my answer to everything) and i am still experiencing the issue. I am still wondering if it is the mouse though since so many other mice work where this one crashes the computer and stops working where the other mice i have used worked fine. Sigh....guess ill take that new G15 back and exchange it for a new mouse.

mscook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Was running win 7 32bit however i didn't have the disk when i reformatted so i went back to XP sp3 so that is my current OS but i am having the same issue.