Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hardcore issues with my GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 6, 2010 11:44:02 PM

Well I got a GT 230 card and yesterday I was playing around with the clocks with riva tuner just for fun lol and I got BSOD like 3 times but the card was running cool all the time. BUt not stable ofc. I lowered my clocks to a stable level (the ones I always used before) and today when I played some games, I experienced a huge performance decrease in every single game. Crysis warhead didnt run smooth anymore at 1280x800 16xAA gamer settings but yesterday it worked perfect silky smooth. Company of heroes aint even playable anymore on my old settings and cod 2 is just idk I still got more than 100 fps but still 50 fps lower than before and the game is jagging all the time. I reinstalled my drivers plenty of times and did pretty much everything to resolve this. Well thats all ive done but aint that the only thing I can do??? The weird thing is. I guess my card is damaged because of that BUT HOW THE **** is that posible??? I got instant BSOD and the PC shut down. I couldnt even try those clocks the PC just shut down so it shouldnt get damaged that fast should it? And also my memmory clock was just 20MHz higher than the stable clocks I used b4 and the core like 50mhz but I lowered the shader clocks a bit so I dont get how it could screw up so fast?? If that is the problem ofc. But I cant see any other reason to this :S So what should/can I do?? Im buying a new card soon anyway so I dont really care THAT much about this card but I cant be arsed playing PS3 only untill I get my new card. HELP PLEASE !

Thanks

More about : hardcore issues gpu

April 7, 2010 12:12:31 AM

heeeeeelp??
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2010 12:17:11 AM

Yeah, it is quite possible that "playing around with RivaTuner just for fun" might have actually ruined your card.

Remove RivaTuner and all associated saved profiles and see if that helps. If not, try the card in another system (or in the same one using another hard drive or drive partition) with a fresh OS install. If it still acts up in a fresh install, then I think you know what the diagnosis is, and you've learned a valuable lesson.
Related resources
a c 229 U Graphics card
April 7, 2010 12:17:33 AM

Did you try a system restore to "pre-OC" backup ? Wondering if the BSOD fudged a file in the crash.
April 7, 2010 12:27:57 AM

RazberyBandit said:
Yeah, it is quite possible that "playing around with RivaTuner just for fun" might have actually ruined your card.

Remove RivaTuner and all associated saved profiles and see if that helps. If not, try the card in another system (or in the same one using another hard drive or drive partition) with a fresh OS install. If it still acts up in a fresh install, then I think you know what the diagnosis is, and you've learned a valuable lesson.


ok so I uninstalled rivatuner and all files and its still performing way worse than before :S
April 7, 2010 12:44:49 AM

screwing up the card cant ruin any other system component btw right???
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2010 5:30:26 AM

Usually, no. Cards that go bad don't usually cause a chain reaction with other hardware. Sometimes files and OS's can get screwed up due to crashes, but the hardware is usually unaffected.

Maybe you can just claim it's broken and do a simple return/exchange?
April 7, 2010 5:41:35 AM

What is your PSU? Stressing your card could also have damaged your PSU and not your card only. Check your voltages, or try a different rail on your VGA.
April 7, 2010 5:51:55 AM

I think you call your IT service provider.They solve your problem.

a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2010 6:36:29 AM

Odd.. According to nVidia's website, GT 230's don't exist:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html
Where did you get it?

Anyway... I seriously doubt there's a PSU issue... And GT220 and GT240 cards don't use PCIe power cables - they're powered through the motherboard.
April 7, 2010 2:14:06 PM

darkguset said:
What is your PSU? Stressing your card could also have damaged your PSU and not your card only. Check your voltages, or try a different rail on your VGA.


well I got a acer pre built gamer PC but im going to buy a new PSU anyways cos this one has a core i7 6gb ddr 3 ram and 1TB HDD running on a no brand 450W PSU. ANd that wont be nuff to power up HD 5770 crossfire which im going to buy. And the PCI slot under the one I use is soo close to the bottom of the case :S Im sure itll get overheated but yeah Ill try that.
April 7, 2010 2:14:57 PM

RazberyBandit said:
Odd.. According to nVidia's website, GT 230's don't exist:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html
Where did you get it?

Anyway... I seriously doubt there's a PSU issue... And GT220 and GT240 cards don't use PCIe power cables - they're powered through the motherboard.


its a OEM product. ANd yeah I know there is none on the NVidia site. But if you search for GT 230 in the search thing youll find GT 230 drivers on the website.
April 7, 2010 2:15:32 PM

RazberyBandit said:
Odd.. According to nVidia's website, GT 230's don't exist:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html
Where did you get it?

Anyway... I seriously doubt there's a PSU issue... And GT220 and GT240 cards don't use PCIe power cables - they're powered through the motherboard.


OMG??? So that means my Motherboard is screwed up too?????
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2010 2:47:43 PM

It doesn't mean your motherboard is screwed up. I said that because Darkguset was suggesting checking the PSU cables and stuff when the card doesn't even connect directly to the PSU - it gets all it's power through the motherboard.

Now, it could do damage to the motherboard if it literally fried and a circuit got crossed, but I doubt that's the case.

A few words of advice - overclocking entry-level GPUs often isn't such a good idea. They're simply not designed for high performance. As with any GPU when overclocking them, you don't just throw random numbers at them and start playing games. You take it step by step, testing each step thoroughly along the way for stability.
April 7, 2010 2:53:10 PM

RazberyBandit said:
It doesn't mean your motherboard is screwed up. I said that because Darkguset was suggesting checking the PSU cables and stuff when the card doesn't even connect directly to the PSU - it gets all it's power through the motherboard.

Now, it could do damage to the motherboard if it literally fried and a circuit got crossed, but I doubt that's the case.

A few words of advice - overclocking entry-level GPUs often isn't such a good idea. They're simply not designed for high performance. As with any GPU when overclocking them, you don't just throw random numbers at them and start playing games. You take it step by step, testing each step thoroughly along the way for stability.


ok cool so it didnt fry or anything it was on stable 35C all the time lol ;)  but yeah ill stop with this insane overclockings untill I get my HD 5770. TBH I didnt overclock it high so im kinda surprised how it did screw up. The stock clock on the memmory is 510 mhz and I tried 620. (595mhz runs stable) so I had 595mhz on the memmory and BOOM @ 620 it crashed. BSOD. The core stock is @ 500mhz and I usually run it on 575 which is very stable and then I tried over 600 but I lowered the Shaders by maybe 100mhz lol so yeah the core didnt crash because I lowerd the shaders but how can that little memmory clock increase damage my card so badly?? It seems like 600 is the limit for my memmory clock. But at 600 it doesnt get BSOD it just crashes in games.
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2010 3:08:08 PM

Low-end card typically means it's got low-end parts. I don't mean they're not good quality, I mean they're just not designed with overhead in mind. If what you wanted was a faster card, just buy a faster card. You should never buy something and count on potential or possible overclocking actually getting it to suit your needs. Get what will actually suit your needs.

Overclocking is fickle - sometimes it yields great benefits, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes identical hardware overclocks differently. Sometimes it doesn't overclock much at all. It's just the way it goes.
!