Are XP drivers universal in regards to the different versions of XP?

Hi All,

I am looking into buying a cheap used laptop (a Toshiba Satellite A105 - S4334). When it was released, it came standard with Windows XP Media Center 2005, but I want to install Windows XP Home or possibly XP Pro. I have located the XP drivers online for the Laptop model, but I was wondering whether the drivers are specific to XP Media Center 2005, or if the drivers work with any version/flavor of XP? Whether it be XP Home, XP Pro, or XP Media Center.

These are the drivers in reference:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=1467729&rpn=PSAA8U&modelFilter=A105-S4344&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663&selModel=1467729%7CPSAA8U

Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about drivers universal versions
  1. Those drivers should not be specific to Winodws XP Media Center 2005. However, you need to make sure you get the drivers for XP and not XP SP2/3 if you have not installed those service packs yet. Personally, I would go with XP Pro vs. XP Home.
  2. kenrivers said:
    Those drivers should not be specific to Winodws XP Media Center 2005. However, you need to make sure you get the drivers for XP and not XP SP2/3 if you have not installed those service packs yet. Personally, I would go with XP Pro vs. XP Home.

Yeah, the plan was to only download the XP drivers that didn't say anything about the service packs. However, I assume I can download them after I update the service packs?

Yeah, my intentions are to go with Pro, but it is also very cheap, lol, so I thought about saving my XP pro for a laptop with a little bit better specs. I'm hunting down another one for the girlfriend.. I'll just have to see how much I can upgrade this A105 without investing too much.
  3. Yes, you should be able to download the SP2/3 drivers after you install those service packs.
  4. kenrivers said:
    Yes, you should be able to download the SP2/3 drivers after you install those service packs.

Sounds good. I will usually only download the LAN driver so I can do all of the system updates and service packs before I do the other drivers. Also, that allows me to let the PC find the drivers online rather than me hunt them down (sometimes, lol).
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Laptops Media Center Windows XP