Advice needed on first build for University?

adam_x_brookes

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Hello everyone at Tom's Hardware, Will give you background information first.

I just managed to get into The University of Hull, here in England, to study Computer Science and games software development :D and with some of the scholarship money that I'm getting , I've decided that I am going to need a computer upgrade to last me for the three years of the course.

You can see my current PC specs at the bottom of my post, But I want to buy is:
A new motherboard (crossfire ready) needs DDR2 really as I don't think I can afford to buy DDR3 Ram on top of everything else? and I can use Ram from current computer.
Quad core processor. I'm fussed about Intel or AMD. (Quite interested in 'I' series Intel processors though.
New computer case
A PSU. If one has not been included with the case.
A hard drive around 300GB will be fine.

My budget is around £250 stretching to £300, £350 if there is a very good reason to ( but rather not) will be buying in around 3-months.

I would put into this my current HD5670, and use the computer for gaming, photoshopping and programming and things the course requires me to do, but it needs to last me three years where I don't feel like I need to update anything ( except the graphics card but I met get another HD5670 for my birthday )

Could people here please suggest combinations of the above. Thank you very much it is really appreciated guys and girls. :love:

Just upgrade to a superior single GPU down the road ^^ Off EBuyer.com UK
Untitled-53.jpg