5830 Install=Messed Up Sata Ports

Hey all,

So this doesn't get too confusing, I'll tell everyone what I did and where I am at with my XFX 5830 to see if anyone has a possible solution for this issue.

1. Physically installed the card around a week ago and on first boot, I got a "bootmgr is missing" error.
2. Ran a Windows 7 Start up repair, but for some odd reason it couldn't detect the W7 install.
3. Looked in my BIOS and there was the issue: My V. Raptor (primary HDD) was missing.
4. Switched around some SATA cords and the V. Raptor returned and booted just fine into Windows, but another drive is now missing (I have 4 all together).
5. Did a chipset/driver update for the MOBO (Intel DP43TF) to no avail.

That is where I am currently at. I re-installed my old 4850 to see if that would solve the issue and it did, i.e. all of my HDD's were present. Obviously, I have the latest drivers from ATI for the 5830, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. The card itself works fine in regard to the reason I got it (3 monitor set up) and in everything else. My additional system specs are below for more info.

If anyone has an idea on how to get my additional drive back without losing another, it would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
You could try updating your bios, I believe for that board a new bios was releaed in January 2010. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+4+Series+Chipset+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Desktop+Board+DP43TF&OSVersion=OS+Independent
It would not be drivers, if your bios does not see the drive, only when a different card is physically installed. Its something happening at the hardware level, with your chipset/ mb -pcie slot ?

notty22

Distinguished
You could try updating your bios, I believe for that board a new bios was releaed in January 2010. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+4+Series+Chipset+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Desktop+Board+DP43TF&OSVersion=OS+Independent
It would not be drivers, if your bios does not see the drive, only when a different card is physically installed. Its something happening at the hardware level, with your chipset/ mb -pcie slot ?

Solution
Yes, that is kind of what I was thinking. Perhaps the new 5k series requires a bit of a "boost" or something like that at the PCIe BIOS level. I'll give that a go and see what happens. In case it doesn't work, I have my 3 main drives working (the other is a sort of a back up drive that I do not have anything of vital importance on), so if worse comes to worse, I'll live.