Moniter turns off but computer keeps running

fat_luke

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Hello i have no idea if this is the right area or what but sometimes my monitor turns off and says no signal but my comp keeps running sometimes music i have playing keeps going or it makes like a bad sound you know when your music gets f'ed up but anyways i have no idea what the problum is

acer 22 inch wide screen
amd athlon 64x2 dual 6000+ 3.00 ghz
4 gigs ram
nvidia geforce 9800 gtx+ 512 mb
abs sli ready 750 power supply
msi k9n2 sli platinum motherboard

G

great suggestions. i had him re-seat all his hardware connections, temp checks, etc. unfortunately he's still having a problem.
he said it likely wasn't the cable, but i still would go with your suggestion to check it against known working components.

It can be difficult to find the cause of this type of fault with no spares but there are a few simple tests that you can do. When the monitor turns itself off, if you then disconnect the power to the monitor for a few seconds and then reapply the power does the monitor turn back on? If it does then the monitor is faulty if it does not then there is something wrong with the computer.

From your description of the way the music plays when you get this fault makes me think that it is the computer crashing. Make sure that the computer is not going into sleep mode or hibernating, and try running a memory test program.

fat_luke

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
yea im running my onboard atm no problum yet but 30 fps in all low setting when i masked high settings while frapsing in games sux it looks so hard to take apart,well not hard but i never done it and the screws look way small

fat_luke

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

Im not exactly sure how to take the plastic sleave off but there is a sticker over a few screws that says "warranty void if removed" so :(

fat_luke

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

I think its the card say if i rma it or what not do i goto newegg (where i purchased it or evga nvidia or what ever)

fat_luke

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
This seems to be only happening when i start wow now,almost like 2-4 minutes after i start playing it crashes,i have replaced the thermal paste on the card and cleaned it out

fat_luke

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
So today after it ran smooth for hours it crashed,then i turned it back on got on the internet and it crashed went to a blue screen (for the first time) was way too fast for me to read any words then it restarted instantly by itself???

i have updated my graphics drive and mother board rebuilt the system twice and taken the gpu out and replaced the thermal paste i did find i had one dead stick of ram havent used mem test on the remaining one yet

If the card is under warranty the rule of thumb is not to replace the thermal paste since it will void the warranty.
Start by running memtest on your remaining ram to eliminate that problem. Otherwise you most likely have a failing vram on your card.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Have you tried using a single RAM stick? (Assuming you have 2 or more) Simply take one out, test, put other in its place, test. You can also test the other ram slots to see if that's the problem.

Bad RAM can cause video loss.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
No, you should be able to get video without anything plugged in but powersupply, cpu, ram, video.

In fAct, you should unplug the components you don't need to boot. (USB / keyboard / mouse / cd&dvd / hard drives / any pci cards)

If you get video after unplugging unnecessary components, plug everything in 1 at a time, with a test boot, until you find the culprit.

fat_luke

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
It's currently working and i have yet to crash i changed the slot my card was in but for some reason in my propertis display settings it is showing i have two monitors one in my 9800 gtx+ and then my 750a or w/e mother board on board gpu so how do i set it to one?