Will you buy a Nvidia GTX480/470 card?

• Yes

Votes: 25 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 60.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 37 23.6%

• Total voters
Would be nice to have a little more depth, but this one is straightforward enough, although the YouTube is maybe not needed, but whatever.

I voted no because..... there won't be a mobile version (just like there isn't a true mobile HD5870).

I might buy a Fermi by-product, but it needs to come wrapped in a crunchy laptop shell.

BTW, to fry an egg, they needed to use the backplate, not the HSF assembly whose whole point is to remove heat from surrounding materials, not add it. The backplate on the other hand would get nice and hot.

AMW1011

Distinguished
If I can get a GTX 470 for $350 straight (plus S&H of course), it will be a consideration "maybe".

The whole noise, power consumption, and heat thing is pretty moot in my opinion and in my case. Even with the stock cooler it overclocks very well and I can wait for a nice aftermarket cooler to come out so I can crank up some voltages. But those are fluid circumstances and are dependent on a lot of variables. Most likely? A 1GHz core overclocked 5850 thank you.

Slightly modified from the other thread.

As for that video, it proves that you can't boil an egg on a GTX 480. This is actually common sense and I hope no one thought that it was possible, the heatsink is going to always be MUCH cooler than the actual contact surface, or GPU ship in this instance.

A burn can be caused by touching something about 55c. I doubt many, if any, of us have a CPU that runs cooler than 55c on load. And if you do you need to crank those clocks! Touch your heasink with the CPU at load, you will be lucky to feel any form of true "warmth" as your body temp is about 35c and the heatsink should be around there.

Also note that the entry boiling point of egg whites is about 70c. To boil an egg in any form of good time you will need to increase that a lot to at least 90c. An egg yoke will be a bit above that as well. Now you need to transfer that much heat to the egg directly, which is very difficult even if you put it ON the GPU itself at 100c. Then add in foil if you don't want to ruin the card and you will decrease the heat transfered by about 10c if not more. I highly doubt that even the backplate would be sufficient to boil an egg.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Thank you for that elaborate and deductive reasoning...

Yeah my 750w will run one fine and two should run alright too. Add in that I can get a Corsair TX-850w or an Antec CP-850w for about $120 and it doesn't seem to be a huge problem for me.

Now for you, that might be totally different, but you should elaborate non-the-less. Unless you won't buy it simple on principle...

Nope - though I may buy one of their descendants in a generation or 2 - when they shrink it to a new die size and get the Power specs down some if they can also make the price competitive at that point.

I am waiting on the 470 as well, but if we start to see major shortages and price increases especially on e-bay then I will have to settle for a 5 series which is not bad at all either..

AMW1011

Distinguished
Yeah I guess it wasn't that bad, I'm just tired of people complaining about a few more watts when there were plenty of releases where that was overlooked completely.

It seems as though people decide they don't like something and look for reasons to justify their dislike instead of keeping an open mind and researching the topic thoroughly.

If this poll had been a few years ago asking about the R600 my answer would have been exactly the same. It is just my opinion.

notty22

Distinguished
I think it will be exciting around here when Nvidia makes a Fermi to counter the 5830/ 5770 segment. There is tons of interest in the 5770(price point) in this forum. And thats without competition at 40nm dx11.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I really dont think that the gtx480 is worth the extra $100 over the 5870, for such little performance increase. The only area the 480 excelled in was dx11 applications that uses tessellation. Nvidia will definitely have to drop their prices in order to keep up with ATI, if they had released this card 6 months earlier then they would have been a bigger threat to the 5800 series. If the 480 drops to around, oh, lets say $400 then ill easily purchase it over the 5870, time to wait and see...

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

Guess ill have to end up buying that grill after all...

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Nv's power isn't only limited to tesslation. It also has Raw Application power that destroys most cards.

Gaming it should be 10-30% faster than the 5870 (sometimes not even, depending on the game...I say 30% because of games like Far Cry 2 and more with DX11)

None Gaming it, it should put any card to its knees. :)

We'll see...I agree that the price should be atleast 450$ but considering that the 5870 is 420-475$ here in CAD. I dont mind paying an extra 50$.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I voted maybe because if they make the GTX 480 more affordable and bring down the heat and power usage a little, I will actually consider getting one.

As of right now, the 5870 is worth the price and performance.

Well, with voltage increases you should be able to get the backplate temp up there.

Seriously though, I would consider one if it were priced right if I did not already have a 5850 (which I like very much and is more than enough GPU for me).

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
As for me, the only way ill buy a GTX 480 over the HD 5870 is if the price drops to $400 - $450. If not, the 5870 does seem like the better option.