Sign in with
Your question

Server CPU=Gaming CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
July 12, 2010 5:56:02 AM

Hi all...
This has been plagueing me for a while...
If i were to buy a server chip, could it be used for gaming? and if so, would i just be wasting my money? Would it be better getting a gaming cpu from the start? [:grahamlv:3]

More about : server cpu gaming cpu

a c 131 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 12, 2010 6:32:45 AM

If you are considering only one server chip, then you would be better off with a consumer chip under most circumstances. The server chips are the exact same but support multiple chips in one system. Hence they are more expensive.

As for gaming on a server chip, it depends entirely on what chip/chips you are talking about, what video card, what games, what monitor resolution, etc. We need that information before we can say yes or no.
July 12, 2010 6:50:44 AM

the rest of the components will be gaming grade( eg 4gb RAM, ATI 5870, ect...
Related resources
July 12, 2010 6:54:06 AM

Are you by any chance looking at an opteron chip + 2 cpu slot mobo from asus?
July 12, 2010 6:55:28 AM

Just stick with a normal CPU.
An AMD 955 gives more then enough power for gaming.
Just put you cash in a better graphics card.

Eventually get an i7 920, but everything above a 920 is absolute overkill.
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 7:42:15 AM

Server chips tend to run with lower clock speeds than consumer versions, which is not good for gaming.
a c 131 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 12, 2010 7:58:33 AM

You still haven't told us what you intend to do with the server/
July 12, 2010 10:20:14 AM

Enzo, wake up! I said in my last post that all the other components are gaming grade! Even the title "Server CPU=Gaming CPU?" suggests that I will be using it for gaming!
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 10:23:45 AM

so you want to build a server, and use it solely for gaming?

then no, that would be a stupid idea. servers do server stuff, gaming rigs do gaming stuff. hence the names.
July 12, 2010 10:30:09 AM

what i mean is should i use a server CPU and mobo with gaming components (EG: ATI 5870; 4gb ram...)
a c 203 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 12, 2010 1:20:18 PM

The server CPUs cost more with no real advantage to gamers.

Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz $290
Xeon X3460 Lynnfield 2.8GHz $350

Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz $560
Xeon W3550 Bloomfield 3.06GHz $616

Core i7-980X Gulftown 3.33GHz Six-Core $965
Xeon X5680 Westmere 3.33GHz Six-Core $1723
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 3:00:25 PM

the only advantage of getting a server cpu instead of a desktop class is the better binning for overclocking, but unless you are going for world records, just get the desktop variant
a c 131 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
July 12, 2010 5:18:38 PM

p4nz3rm4d said:
Enzo, wake up! I said in my last post that all the other components are gaming grade! Even the title "Server CPU=Gaming CPU?" suggests that I will be using it for gaming!

Woah dude, no need to be so rude.

Anyway, you said a server CPU, so I assumed you would be doing something other than gaming with it. I thought you were saying you were getting a server computer for a task you haven't told us but want to know if it would be good for gaming. That viewpoint is reflected in my first post.

So are you saying you intend to do nothing than game with this computer? Then yes, forget server CPUs. For you, they are just overpriced versions of their desktop counterparts.

Mindless, I don't know of any server CPUs that overclock well nor do I know any server motherboards that support overclocking very well; I might be mistaken though.

In WR2's post, you can see the prices. The CPUs he compares are the exact same, but the xeon has the ability to be paired with another processor on a single motherboard. The non-xeon cannot be used in conjunction with another CPU.

If i were to buy a server chip, could it be used for gaming?
Yes. Because it is the exact same as the desktop variant, but more expensive.

and if so, would i just be wasting my money?
Yes.

Would it be better getting a gaming cpu from the start?
You mean a desktop CPU? Yes.
a c 83 à CPUs
July 12, 2010 6:07:53 PM

I've got to back the others here, server chips are either the same as their desktop counterparts, or in some cases have more cores with lower clock speeds. Either way, you'll get more performance for your dollar building with desktop components.

Only real reason to go server is if your actually building a server for server tasks, or building a workstation, this way you can get more cores than you would on a desktop.
October 19, 2010 3:06:31 AM

p4nz3rm4d said:
Hi all...
This has been plagueing me for a while...
If i were to buy a server chip, could it be used for gaming? and if so, would i just be wasting my money? Would it be better getting a gaming cpu from the start? [:grahamlv:3]

'ello p4nz3rm4d,

Just a thought.... might give your total TDP some thought if you are running more than one PC on your network and look for a power shrewd server if it will always be running just a thought. ;) 

- poppasmurf
!