Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will the G Skill Ripjaw memory fit in my build?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 18, 2011 9:35:41 PM

I am building a computer. I will be using an Asus M4A89GTD motherboard with a Phenom II x6 1090t and CoolerMaster 212+ cpu fan. Will the Ripjaw series fit, or should I go with the Sniper series? Do the fins on the Ripjaw make a huge difference in temp?

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
January 18, 2011 10:39:45 PM

Either or will work just fine with your build... I would go with the RAM with the lowest Timings in your budget.
Share
January 19, 2011 12:17:24 AM

OK....Now I am debating on motherboards. I can get an open box Crosshair IV Formul from newegg.com for just a little more than the Asus M4A89GTD. Any thoughts? I'm not a huge gamer. I was attracted to the hybrid crossfire with the onboard GPU on the M4A89GTD. I was thinking I would get more performance out of a single graphics card, but I am reading that onboard GPUs often just tie up resources. I'm not a big gamer, so I don't think I'll need to get a second card....unless it would make a big difference for watching video.

Here is the graphics card I am planning on buying:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here are the motherboards I am comparing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|13-131-631^13-131-631-TS%2C13-131-655^13-131-655-TS%2C13-131-644^13-131-644-TS%2C13-131-644R^13-131-644-TS


Any input is appreciated.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 1:07:03 AM

1) I would recommend against going with an "open box"... they are an "open box" for a reason (typically a customer return).

2) I would go with the cheaper ASUS GX board for your needs or to me an even better choice is the ASRock 870 Extreme 3. All the features of an FX board at a standard 870 board's pricing. It is the best AM3 board for the price to performance | features you can buy... IMO.
m
0
l
January 19, 2011 4:40:40 AM

tecmo34 said:
Either or will work just fine with your build... I would go with the RAM with the lowest Timings in your budget.


The fins on the ripjaw won't hinder the cpu heatsink/fan?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 5:13:36 AM

Have you decided on your other parts? Don't go cheap on the PSU. Get a good brand (or at least not a terrible one).

With that said, the cheapest ASUS mobo will get it done for you.

I'd get a better video card for slightly more money--maybe a GTS 450. That will assure that you can play casual games on low settings in 2 years instead of struggling with low settings now.

I'd drop the Phenom II x6 for a Phenom II x2 & unlock it or get the Phenom II x4 965BE C3 Revision and OC it to 4.0GHz. According to professional programmers I've talked to, we're not close to seeing many apps go multithreaded so the benefits of more than 3 cores is probably negligible. Although some programs, like Photoshop, use lots of cores. Save money and put it where it'll matter--in your video card.

RAM: Pay attention to the Latency. I'd get DDR3 2000 CL9 or DDR3 1600 CL6 with the money saved on the mobo or processor.

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB--nothing competes with this drive on a price to performance basis.
m
0
l
January 19, 2011 5:39:28 AM

dalauder said:
Have you decided on your other parts? Don't go cheap on the PSU. Get a good brand (or at least not a terrible one).

With that said, the cheapest ASUS mobo will get it done for you.

I'd get a better video card for slightly more money--maybe a GTS 450. That will assure that you can play casual games on low settings in 2 years instead of struggling with low settings now.

I'd drop the Phenom II x6 for a Phenom II x2 & unlock it or get the Phenom II x4 965BE C3 Revision and OC it to 4.0GHz. According to professional programmers I've talked to, we're not close to seeing many apps go multithreaded so the benefits of more than 3 cores is probably negligible. Although some programs, like Photoshop, use lots of cores. Save money and put it where it'll matter--in your video card.

RAM: Pay attention to the Latency. I'd get DDR3 2000 CL9 or DDR3 1600 CL6 with the money saved on the mobo or processor.

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB--nothing competes with this drive on a price to performance basis.


I already have the processor, HDD, case, and PSU. I want to build a machine that's going to last a long time, so I don't mind spending a little extra money to get a bit above what my current needs are. I have a OCZ 550w PSU, the phenom IIx6 1090t processor, western digital 1tb 7200 rpm sata 6 HDD, Cooler Master Haf 912 case.

I am buying the rest of the parts this week: the video card I mentioned in the prior post (which I might consider upgrading if it will make a difference for my usage - remember, I don't really play games, but I would like to hook up PC to my 46" TV), mobo I mentioned previously, 16gb (4x4gb) Gskill ripjaw DD3 1333 CL9, Windows 7 Ultimate, Cooler Master Hyper 212+ CPU cooler, and an additional 200mm fan and another 120mm fan (My case comes with 2 - 120mm).
m
0
l
January 19, 2011 7:13:34 AM

OK, so one more question, and I think all my questions will be covered. The case I have has a 120 mm fan in front and one in back. I am buying another 120mm fan and a 200mm fan. I assume the existing fan in front is blowing in and the one in back is blowing out. Should I install the 200mm on top or side? Should top and side both be blowing out?
m
0
l
January 19, 2011 3:42:43 PM

spence41 said:
OK, so one more question, and I think all my questions will be covered. The case I have has a 120 mm fan in front and one in back. I am buying another 120mm fan and a 200mm fan. I assume the existing fan in front is blowing in and the one in back is blowing out. Should I install the 200mm on top or side? Should top and side both be blowing out?


OK, after a little research, I'm thinking the 200mm should go on top blowing out and the 120mm on the side blowing in. Sound right?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 236 V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 4:16:27 PM

spence41 said:
OK, after a little research, I'm thinking the 200mm should go on top blowing out and the 120mm on the side blowing in. Sound right?

Yes... Sounds Right.
m
0
l
January 19, 2011 5:21:35 PM

Best answer selected by spence41.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 5:36:50 PM

I found a reviewer who stated that the rip jaws fir with a V8 cooler, and the 212+ has more room than that underneath/to the front of the case.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 9:36:58 PM

Your fan setup sounds good.

If you're really not interested in gaming, then you could consider one of the Radeon HD 5450's for $30 (DDR3 version) after rebate. But I think your initial choice of video cards, the Radeon HD 4670 is right for you. The 5670 would be a big, but not useful upgrade (videocardbenchmark.net is handy, but not absolutely accurate).

FYI: Since you probably won't ever use CrossFireX for multiple gaming cards, feel free to consider comparable NVidia cards if there's a better deal.
m
0
l
January 20, 2011 12:11:19 AM

dalauder said:
Your fan setup sounds good.

If you're really not interested in gaming, then you could consider one of the Radeon HD 5450's for $30 (DDR3 version) after rebate. But I think your initial choice of video cards, the Radeon HD 4670 is right for you. The 5670 would be a big, but not useful upgrade (videocardbenchmark.net is handy, but not absolutely accurate).

FYI: Since you probably won't ever use CrossFireX for multiple gaming cards, feel free to consider comparable NVidia cards if there's a better deal.


Thanks. I think I may go with the better card just in case. Would you recommend getting an ASUS M4A89TD mobo with no integrated video and 890fx chipset then as opposed to the M4A89GTD with ingerated video and 890gx chipset?
m
0
l
!