ASROCK X58 EXTREME error 'FE' no beeps

magicbullet077

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Hello, I can not get my system to boot. I am using an ASROCK X58 EXTREME Mobo. When I turn on the PC all the fans spin up and the drives spin but I get no video or anything. The error screen says 'FE' which I can not find documentation for. Also, I don't hear any beeps. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
Here's a link to the AMI BIOS Rev8 Post Codes. The error "FE" is not on the list, but there is an "EF" POST code. Not sure what the specific issue could be.

Please describe the situation. Is this a newly built computer and turning on for the first time? Or have you been using it and then the POST code error just started happening? Have all the proper psu connections have been made? Can you enter the BIOS to change/verify settings? Have you tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults and then booting? Have you recently updated the BIOS version?

Please list your system specs.
Here's a link to the AMI BIOS Rev8 Post Codes. The error "FE" is not on the list, but there is an "EF" POST code. Not sure what the specific issue could be.

Please describe the situation. Is this a newly built computer and turning on for the first time? Or have you been using it and then the POST code error just started happening? Have all the proper psu connections have been made? Can you enter the BIOS to change/verify settings? Have you tried resetting the BIOS to factory defaults and then booting? Have you recently updated the BIOS version?

Please list your system specs.

Solution

magicbullet077

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Thanks for the response. This is a relatively new PC which has been working fine for a few months. I got the boot error after installing new RAM. After clearing the bios I can now boot the PC normally. Unfortunately, I am now having blue screen problems. I think it must be the RAM so I am going to run MEMTEST and see if I have a bad stick. SYSTEM SPECS ARE:
CPU: INTEL i7 920
MEMORY: 6GB OCZ Tripple Channel Obsidian DDR3 1600Mhz (9-9-9-24)
Mobo: ASROCK X58 EXTREME
VIDEO: RADEON 5850
PSU: Corsair 620W
If you have any more advice please feel free to comment, but I think it is a memory issue at this point. Thanks.

Agreed, seems like a RAM issue.

Running MemTest is a good idea and will certainly let you know if the RAM is bad.

Are the individual RAM timings manually set? Or did you choose the 1600MHz option in the BIOS menu? Does that RAM have an XMP profile?

It would be worth verifying if the OCZ Obsidian is on the X58 Extreme QVL for RAM. Also worth searching the ASRock forums to see if anyone else is using the same mobo/RAM combo.

magicbullet077

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Things keep getting worse. I tested each piece individually with MEMTEST and none failed. Then I tested them in sets of 6GB (3 sticks) triple channel and still none failed. However, when all 6 are installed (12GB) I get many failures. I was wrong before, I don't know why I said my system only has 6GB of RAM it is 12GB (6x2). The RAM all has the same serial number and specs. I noticed 3 have black pcb and 3 have green pcb but I don't think that should affect it. So maybe its a compatibility issue because they are not on the X58 Extreme QVL for RAM. Although many OCZ memories are. It's just strange how 6GB works great but 12GB fails.

Ok, more info, good thing. Yes, 12GB (6x2GB) sticks does make a difference.

What speeds are you trying to run all 12GB at? A limitation of the X58 chipset is that RAM speeds are capped at 1333MHz when more than one DIMM per channel is used. However, ASRock advertises "Triple Channel DDR3 2000(OC) with 6 DIMM slots" for the X58 Extreme.

What are the RAM BIOS settings? If you haven't already, change the RAM settings to all be Auto or the default value to ensure speed and timing compatibility.

Using RAM off the QVL is the best way to ensure compatibility, but the QVL is not a complete list either.

Albeit the RAM passed MEMTEST, and regardless of not being on the QVL, they are 2 sets of 3 DIMMs rather than a hexa-channel set, and given that the 3x2GB sets pass MEMTEST but all 6 DIMMs fail points to compatibility issues.

If there are no issues with the BIOS settings preventing the RAM from working properly, and you want 12GB, then you may have no other option but to buy new RAM; either a hexa core set of 2GB DIMMs or a triple channel set of 4GB DIMMs.

Personally, I'd go for the 3 - 4GB triple channel set.